No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set filter for frequency of reads AND HapMap exome sample results:

Hey All,

I only used so far three filters for my whole exome pipeline (aligning to hg19) for a HapMap sample. I tried it on the NA19240 Hapmap sample from paper below (Table 3) which shows ~196 variants (SNPs and INDELs).

However, using my filters as below I get = ~15000 (just NON_SYNONYMOUS_CODING alterations) and ~500 (INDELs). If you add INDELS, it's going to be much higher number. What am I doing wrong?

My list of filters are:

1) vcfutils varFilter -D1000
    2) snpEff -minQ 20 -minCoverage 30

Could they have different filters like frequency of variants etc.? If so, how do I set these up? Any help? What are the default parameters for # of reads (minimum) and frequency in bwa,samtools?

Below is my pipeline:

* bwa aln hg19.fa S375_R1.fastq > S375_1.sai
    * bwa aln hg19.fa S375_R2.fastq > S375_2.sai
    * bwa sampe hg19.fa S375_1.sai S375_2.sai S375_R1.fastq S375_R2.fastq > S375_NoIndex_L007.sam
    * samtools view -bS S375_NoIndex_L007.sam > S375_NoIndex_L007.bam
    * samtools sort S375_NoIndex_L007.bam S375_NoIndex_L007.sorted
    * Marked duplicates using picard
    * samtools index S375_NoIndex_L007.marked.bam
    * samtools mpileup -uf hg19.fa S375_NoIndex_L007.marked.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > S375_NoIndex_L007.raw.bcf
    * bcftools view S375_NoIndex_L007.raw.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -D1000 > S375_NoIndex_L007_var_d200.flt.vcf
    Last edited by angerusso; 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM.

Just wondering what is the exome sample you try to process. I checked on the hapmap available on SRA .. but it seems that all samples are single-end.
    I could not find the NA19240 can you provide the link. thanks.
    link to the study i found in SRA: http://sra.dnanexus.com/dispatch_man..._name=download

Comment

From what I can tell, you are filtering on a maximum depth of 1000. Try using a minimum depth of 5 ad allowing SNP calls from Anomalous reads. I also found turning BAQ off helps with sensitivity as BAQ can be a bit aggressive in filtering out SNP arounds indels.

Try:
      samtools mpileup -ugBAf hg19.fa S375_NoIndex_L007.marked.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > S375_NoIndex_L007.raw.bcf
      bcftools view S375_NoIndex_L007.raw.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -d 5 > S375_NoIndex_L007_var_d200.flt.vcf

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses