No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHRiMP mapping algorithm

Hello everyone,

I have miRNA data generated through ION PGM. I am using SHRiMP software for mapping. I want to know how exactly SHRiMP algorith works

It is written that by default it makes 3 seeds with weight 12
    seed1: 11110111101111
    seed2: 1111011100100001111
    seed3: 1111000011001101111

1. I want to know if this is the only pattern it makes seeds or it makes seed
    according to our data.
    2. Now will it match all the seeds and in what order. If out of three two seeds match and one does not match then will it consider that seed or will it be discarded.

3. when is the extension of these seeds take place??

Hoping for a positive response.

Neha

Hi Neha,

sorry for this "too late (~ one year) " answer :

(a) first, note that there is a "--mode mirna" in SHRiMP that can help in your work ?
    (b) be careful with homopolymers ... if too many of them, as they generate indels on ION, they will "break" the seeds; however, i hope that your sequences are "homopolymer-free" (miRNA ?)

1. seeds are fixed (and the ones you show in your post are btw adapted for SOLiD read mapping ...), so they will not change, but you can specify others before running the tool ...

=> if you have some miRNA, may be the following (from the "nucleotide" version of the SToRM read mapper)
    would help ?

2. no matter the order of the seed shapes is : as far as i remember, in SHRiMP you need "two hits" (-n 2) of two seeds (either the same seed shape at two different positions, or two different shape even at the same pos) to trigger an alignment ;

there is a good tutorial too in

starting with "Filter 1: Window Generation"

dont forget to play with the score threshold -v and -h with smaller percentages ... decreasing them can help too.

3. this seems to be a "double hit (by default)" and " -w 140% read alignment" :
    see the "Filter 2: Vector SW/Ungapped Alignment" section for more details

Hoping this answers some of your questions ? (sorry for the "see the ref manual, but seems that even helped me :-) )

Have a nice day

L.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses