Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have rec's for fast-turnaround MiSeq service?

I'm currently generating about a plate of 16S samples every 2 months, prepping and mixing them myself, and submitting to my university core facility (who shall remain nameless...).

Everything is working well, but the turnaround is about 25 days, thus hampering my decisions on what experiment to do next. I've already put out a few quote requests for services offering 2 x 250bp MiSeq sequencing of prepared libraries, have got a couple hits back, but I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend anyone? Sometimes their websites aren't always the best, and I've had a few not get back to me.

Could be private company, university, whatever as long as the turnaround is closer to a week (or less!) and the cost isn't *too* much higher than what we're paying now.

Thanks!!!

I would be happy to talk with you in detail about your sequencing needs off-line. Contact info can be found at the website below.

Comment

Have you tried talking to the staff at your core to find out why the turnaround is so long? I doubt their MiSeq is being used to capacity, so there must be a specific spot where it's being held up.

My guess would be reagent ordering, as that can take a while between business office approval and Illumina shipping. The core I work in doesn't always keep 500v2 or 600v3 kits on hand - if they knew in advance of your experiment they could have reagents ordered. QC should take a few days to a week if they batch qpcr runs, so that as soon as QC is completed they can load immediately. The only other potential slowdown is analysis if they're doing anything beyond fastq generation or if they're extremely booked. Maybe staffing if the core is small but offers a lot of services, in which case you're absolutely right and the best way to hit your turnaround goal is to find a new provider.

Comment

you can contact me as well. User prepped libraries are usually sequenced in 1 week. When you are prepping, let us know what kit you need (or you can order the kit from Illumina and have it delivered to me).

mars.uconn.edu
        Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses