X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cufflinks / cuffcompare does not produce p_id

Hello,

My first post here...!

I'm trying to use cuffcompare to produce a combined GTF file (stdout.combined.gtf) to feed to cuffdiff for further analysis. Cuffcompare should produce such GTF with added attributes tss_id and p_id. However, while my stdout.combined.gtf does have tss_ids it has no p_ids (even if the input file has CDS attributes). How is it?
    I guess I can put the p_ids myself, but I'd like to understand what I'm doing wrong.

As a test, I ran cuffcompare using the pig GTF from ensembl against itself (following a trick from Cole Trapnell I found in another post) and indeed I couldn't 'see' any p_id in the output. See script below to reproduce this test.
    Why I don't get p_ids?! Am I missing something very obvious?

I'm using version cufflinks-0.8.2.Linux_x86_64

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Dario

Here's the little code:
    # -----------------[ Cut here ]---------------------

## Download and unzip pig GTF
    wget ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/current_gt...ofa9.57.gtf.gz
    gunzip Sus_scrofa.Sscrofa9.57.gtf.gz

## Run cuffcompare
    /exports/work/vet_roslin_nextgen/dario/cufflink/current/cuffcompare -r Sus_scrofa.Sscrofa9.57.gtf Sus_scrofa.Sscrofa9.57.gtf Sus_scrofa.Sscrofa9.57.gtf

## No p_ids!!
    grep p_id stdout.combined.gtf
    ==> no hits

# ----------------------[ Cut here ]-----------------

The trick I posted apparently doesn't always work - we know about this bug and will address it in an upcoming release

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
      The trick I posted apparently doesn't always work - we know about this bug and will address it in an upcoming release
      Hi Cole et al.,

Thanks for taking time to reply.
      Is the bug due to some anomalies in the GTF file? If so, would it be possible to post a few lines from a GTF that works? A final question if you can answer... even if this bug occurs, are the other results from cuffdiff reliable? (I'm not interested in running the reference GTF against itself, that was just for testing purposes).

Dario

Comment

We think they're reliable

The bug I mentioned is just in cuffcompare's ability to attach p_id attributes automatically. If the p_id attributes are missing, Cuffdiff will simply not perform a CDS-level differential analysis. It will look for changes in splicing and TSS preference (and of course gene and isoform-level expression), but it won't look for changes in coding output.

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
          We think they're reliable

The bug I mentioned is just in cuffcompare's ability to attach p_id attributes automatically. If the p_id attributes are missing, Cuffdiff will simply not perform a CDS-level differential analysis. It will look for changes in splicing and TSS preference (and of course gene and isoform-level expression), but it won't look for changes in coding output.
          Cole,

Did you fix this bug?
          I am running a Cuffdiff on two pig samples and ended up with Segment error. I then checked the combined_transcript.gtf file generated in Cuffcompare but did not find the p_id. By the way, I am using the cufflinks .8.4 version released 16/7/2010

Thanks a million!

jhuang

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses