SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Nextera mate-pair kit, Is it possible to reduce the tagmentation reaction time? ychang Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 04-20-2014 07:16 AM
TruSeq or Nextera kit for library prep? rooty Sample Prep / Library Generation 12 10-29-2013 07:02 AM
Nextera Exome Enrichment kit dummyseq Illumina/Solexa 8 10-03-2013 06:46 AM
Streptavidin bead buffers for mate pair prep kit slockton Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 06-30-2010 08:38 PM
Difference between mate pair and pair end bassu General 2 06-19-2010 07:13 AM

Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
pjuneja

Default Nextera mate pair kit substitutions - Covaris and Dynabeads

I'm trying the Nextera mate pair kit for the first time in a collaborator's lab. My time here is limited so unfortunately I have to make do with the consumables already in the lab. Does anyone have any recommendations for the following substitutions:

-Covaris microtube (6x16mm) (#520045) in place of recommended T6 glass tubes (#520031 and #520042)

-Dynabeads M-270 in place of recommended M-280

I have never used either of these components. Would I need to modify the protocol in any way to make these substitutions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Punita
pjuneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
pjuneja

From the preliminary Bioanalyzer results, it seems to have worked just fine with these improvisations. I did end up with low yield though (2 nM). I used the 500bp shearing settings with 100uL of sample in each microtube. We're running the MiSeq so we should know the avg insert size shortly.
pjuneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
hfaoro

Hi Punita,
For covaris tube issue you can follow the specifications recommended by Covaris in this link: http://covarisinc.com/wp-content/uploads/pn_010158.pdf.

Please, can you answer me a question: How many tubes are there in the nextera mate pair box 1? I did't find the end-repair, A-tailing and PCR mix in my kit!
Thanks in advance
hfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
ArciMol

Hi hfaoro,

It seems my reply comes too late, but your Nextera Mate Pair should have a TruSeq DNA sample prep kit with it. That's where the end-repair, a-tailing and PCR mix are.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
lorendarith

In the beginning we used the T6 tubes but I switched back to the smaller ones we use for small-insert libraries and that works even better, as it appears that the shearing force is more accurate.

The difference between M280 and M270 is their charge, and it seems M280 are designed to capture longer sequences whereas M270 for shorter more specific ones. I read somewhere that they usually recommend M270 when you want to capture very short biotinylated stretches.
I would go with M280 in this case because what fragments you bind in this step will determine your positional coverage of the genome. It would be bad (for the assembly?) if you were eliminating some sequences in this step.
Could also explain the lower yield...