Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing experimental models for three-condition DE analysis

I recently got a new project to work on regarding differential expression analysis of RNA-seq data, and it's slightly different to what I've done previously in that it has three conditions, rather than just two. It's basically three isogenic cell lines (with several replicates each) that differ only by their expression levels of a single, important gene (which has been verified experimentally by other collaborators). The first cell line (A) has very low expression of this gene, the second one (B) is moderately expressed and the third one (C) is highly expressed (relatively speaking). The question is which genes (if any) are differentially expressed in regards to this more-or-less linear single-gene expression variation.

I have so far only worked on simple two-condition DE-analysis (what the edgeR documentation terms "classical" analysis), and so I haven't really experienced this case before. I have not used GLMs before, and I'm wondering what the appropriate experimental design for this sort of question would be. I could do the "classical" analysis for A vs. B and A vs. C, for example, and see if the same DEGs from A-B are more differentially expressed in the A-C case. I have done this in a preliminary way, and it does indeed seem to be the case that most of the DEGs follow the trend of higher expression --> higher fold change. It occured to me, however, that this GLM-thing I heard about might be better suited. Seeing as I haven't used it before, I quickly skimmed the edgeR document, concluded that I indeed lacked knowledge of the general theory, and went here.

What is the experimental design I'm looking for here? Should I read up more carefully on GLMs and their use, or do I stick with the classical analysis? If GLMs are the way to go, is there a "beginner's guide"-kind of explanation somewhere for somebody new to the idea? While I've certainly learnt a lot of statistics during my PhD, yet I have little formal training, so I'd like to get an intuitive concept down before I dig into the details.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses