Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optimum illumina flowcell cluster density calculation

Is there an equation, based on the finished library fragment size, for calculating the molar amount of ssDNA that should be added to one lane of a flowcell?

(1500 x DNA concentration in ng/ul) / library size in bp = nM concentration

Comment

I think he's looking more for X pM = Y c/mm^2.

And I think the answer is there is no good answer.

Comment

Maybe kmpphd would like to weigh in: did you get the answer you were seeking?

Comment

Thank you both for the responses. I should have been more explicit in stating my problem, though GW saw where I was going. I was seeking a way to relate pmoles of library fragments of a certain length to the amount of "real estate" that would eventually be taken up by clusters. For this discussion let's assume a single molecule "cluster," and ignore DNA flexibility. To some approximation, Cluster Area = (# of clusters <in some way related to pmoles of frag>)[3.14(length of frag)^2], right? Based on this rationale, if we then achieve optimal cluster density using X pmoles of a 200 nt fragment, wouldn't we be in the ballpark using 0.25X pmoles of a 400 nt frag?
          If equations don't help, as I assume from GW's further comment, what adjustments do you make for different library fragment lengths?

Comment

Okay, I get what you're driving at. I think there are several real-world factors that will skew the theoretical calculation. First, the DNA is flexible, so there will be an effective length that's not linear with actual length. Second, the practical upper limit on cluster density is determined primarily by the ability of the imaging software to resolve individual clusters. Any calculation should take into consideration the software, camera resolution, and detector sensitivity (fluorescence intensity decreases as the area increases). Third, the clusters are distributed randomly instead of evenly, and the probability of cluster overlap is not linear with either cluster number or area.

As a practical matter, we haven't observed much difference between libraries ranging in size from 100bp (some people love to sequence adapter dimers!) to 350bp when loaded at the same molar concentration.

Comment

Cluster density may be influenced by the density of primers anchored to the cell surface. The paper describing chemistry of primer attachment is vague about this and it is possible it this was empirically optimized.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses