No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping vs denovo assembly for non-SNP genomic variations

Hi Guys,

even though I have been working with NGS for a while it is not clear to me why mapping onto a reference genome is preferred to denovo assembly to decipher genomic variations like CNV, inversions, translocations etc.

I guess one issue is the difficulty in confidently assembling the entire sequence from short reads. But given that most of the new data is paired end and the read lengths are increasing steadily, what other problems do you see with denovo assembly? If this issue is resolved, then would denovo assembly identify the genomic variations more accurately and confidently?

Thoughts and insights are welcome, especially in the light of BGI's push in this direction.

Discover the latest news in bioinformatics, biomedical research, and drug discovery. Bio-IT World provides topical news coverage and analysis of cutting-edge biotechnologies to deliver individualized medicine.

Just bouncing it.

Nobody has an opinion on it??

Comment

Nothing, eh?

I'm working with bacterial genomes, and although I have plenty of refs out there (E. coli...), I still wonder what's best, de novo or mapping, since we aim to search for novel genes.

Mapping to K-12 is giving us about 20% of unmapped reads (the novel genes?). Not bad. But still, would de novo give us more?

SB

Comment

Mapping is much faster & requires a much smaller compute power. You also have the annotations already mapped to the reference.

How close is your organism to the reference genome? At a minimum, I would assemble the unmapped reads to see what falls out.

Even with highly variable genomes, you can expect major failures from mapping only. As a trivial example, imagine mapping an F+ lambda+ E.coli K12 strain onto MG1655 -- you'd have a lot of interesting biology falling out as unmapped reads.

Comment

They are the same species, but not the same phylogeny. Anyway, even if mapping to a reference, the idea is to assemble de novo whatever remains unmapped.

The point is, how much a difference does it make to assemble either way? I was told that mapping improves coverage depth, but you may lose information. I just don't get if you lose information because of unmapped reads are "lost" or because mapped reads would actually be assembled differently in a de novo context.

Also, going for a reference mapping option, how should I know ("bioinformatically", as much as possible) where in the genome (chromosome X plasmid) fall the de-novo-assembled-unmapped reads?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses