Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BowTie Index Builder

I want to use BowTie. I download it and run the example commands given into it. However, I want to build index for read length 150 bps. This command (/.bowtie-build chromosome1.fa bowtieIndex ) seems gives default index bilder means for 36 bps. Can anybody help me how to build BowTie index for 150 bps.
    Last edited by Arupsss; 06-18-2012, 11:15 AM.

I'm no expert, but ... I think ..

The index built for your genome (or chromosome) should be able to handle varying sized read lengths as input to bowtie when doing alignment. The index is not specific to the read lengths that you are trying to align.

The introduction in the bowtie documentation mentions an example 36bp test file. The build is not made from this test file, it's just test data made from the genome (or chromsome). If you need 150bp test data ... well, that's another problem ... likely requiring a little custom scripting.

Comment

Richard is right, the bowtie index can handle multiple read lengths. It even works when you have a mixed length of reads. However, I would recommend bowtie2 over bowtie, particularly for the longer read lengths.

Comment

You build the index for the reference genome (and not for a particular type/length of reads).

I think you may be confused by the wording in the first para here (http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/ma...what-is-bowtie). The 36-bp is a historical reference to the original read length for illumina reads (which have since been lengthened to 150 bp or more).
        Last edited by GenoMax; 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

index for viral genome

I want to run TopHAt of viral genome but to make it compatible I guess I need to generate index could some one guide me how can I generate such index files. Is there any web based tool or it is just only possibly only by programming. The particular genome is not available of tophat/ bowtie web page.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mathew View Post
            I want to run TopHAt of viral genome but to make it compatible I guess I need to generate index could some one guide me how can I generate such index files. Is there any web based tool or it is just only possibly only by programming. The particular genome is not available of tophat/ bowtie web page.

Thanks
            For Tophat: http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/ma...-build-indexer

For Tophat2: http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/bo...-build-indexer

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses