SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Announcements

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
qseq format question Bruins Illumina/Solexa 3 07-20-2010 02:52 AM
srf format question ashah Bioinformatics 2 07-09-2010 01:54 PM
Question about using sra_toolkit to transform the SRA format into FASTQ format areyousad Bioinformatics 0 05-16-2010 10:56 PM
Data Format Question rwenang Bioinformatics 2 02-06-2009 09:13 PM
If you could use next-gen sequencing technology to answer any question.... ECO General 2 06-18-2008 10:21 PM

Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #21
avm970

Hi ECO
I am trying to post some questions on seqanswers web site.......but I am unable to do so, could you please tell me how to start a new thread in this forum.
avm970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by avm970 View Post
Hi ECO
I am trying to post some questions on seqanswers web site.......but I am unable to do so, could you please tell me how to start a new thread in this forum.
Only admins can start threads in the Announcements forum. Try another one.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
mrawlins

Location: Retirement - Not working with bioinformatics anymore.

I've been very pleased with the Q/A format on i.seqanswers.com. I don't think it completely replaces the forums, but most of the forum posts are questions of "how do I...", and the new format is much better suited for that.
mrawlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
Asifullah

Hi Folks,
I have recently joint the forum, it is interesting. Actually i want to use Bowite Tool for 72 bp fragments of illumina read (microbail genome) assembling via windowXp based operating system. could any one guide me from very basics of window based installation and operation of this tool. Previously i have assemble a genome with DNAStar tool. Any body could help please. ?his/her help will be highly appreciated.
Asifullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #25
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifullah View Post
Hi Folks,
I have recently joint the forum, it is interesting. Actually i want to use Bowite Tool for 72 bp fragments of illumina read (microbail genome) assembling via windowXp based operating system. could any one guide me from very basics of window based installation and operation of this tool. Previously i have assemble a genome with DNAStar tool. Any body could help please. ?his/her help will be highly appreciated.
Welcome, but please ask your question in the appropriate subforum if you are expecting a response.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
roman

Default Req ChIP seq protocol

Hi guys, i am krishh working on miRNAs regulation in human cells.

I am doing some ChIP-seq these days, i need some help from one you guys regarding protocol. What are the conditions has to be really work to reduce adapters contamination for this new illumina plat form.

thanks in advance ..
roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #27
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman View Post
Hi guys, i am krishh working on miRNAs regulation in human cells.

I am doing some ChIP-seq these days, i need some help from one you guys regarding protocol. What are the conditions has to be really work to reduce adapters contamination for this new illumina plat form.

thanks in advance ..
See the post right above yours for what I don't want to retype.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
unagaswamy

Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I am working on validation of SNPs using NGS. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am unable to make a new post. Can you please guide me on this?
UN
unagaswamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by unagaswamy View Post
Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I am working on validation of SNPs using NGS. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. I am unable to make a new post. Can you please guide me on this?
UN
Looks like you made a new post to me. If you're trying to start a new thread, you can't in this subforum. Try one of the forums that are applicable to the topic of your question.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #30
Volklor

I just signed up here and tried to ask a question, but there is no 'submit' button. There is a login/register button, but when I click that it seems to simply refresh the page. I think I need to reply to another thread in order to be able to ask a new question at all here. Is this true?
Volklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volklor View Post
I just signed up here and tried to ask a question, but there is no 'submit' button. There is a login/register button, but when I click that it seems to simply refresh the page. I think I need to reply to another thread in order to be able to ask a new question at all here. Is this true?
I don't think so, the system is in bootstrap mode which has very few restrictions on reputation requirements. You might have to refresh the page after logging in, as what I see when logged in is below:

Old 09-18-2010, 04:51 AM   #32
passionthean

i am a newer, and don't know how to post the community.
passionthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #33
Azazel

Default stackexchange good, OpenID sucks, forum has it's uses too

I really like the stackexchange-like format and believe it's an advancement over the more "traditional" forum format, because it's no-nonsense, quick, no introductory blabla and so on.

However both formats have their uses, a forum is better for questions which might lead to longer answers.

The stackexchange-like format is better for questions which can be answered unambiguously and which are unlikely to lead to discussion.

There is one thing I absolutely hate about the stackexchange-based sites in general, though, and that is log in via OpenID! For example if you have several gmail-addresses which link to same gmail-account (yes, such things exist, for example I have one googlemail address and one gmail address but it's actually the same account), OpenID can be hell. Sure, one could make one more account for example with Yahoo just to make one more OpenID account, but then again one could make a new account right away at the site where one wants to log in in the first place. I experienced lots of issues with OpenID log in in different contexts.
Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #34
ECO
--Site Admin--

Thanks for the feedback. I agree almost completely...I think the current format encourages a bit more back and forth rather than the rearranging of comments/answers that happens on SE-type sites.

I also agree about OpenID...one way of achieving single sign on for both systems would be to add OpenID functionality to the forums...and there isn't really a clean solution out there...and I haven't spent the time to find a coder who 1.) can do the job, and 2.) can do it securely so we're all not passing around our credentials insecurely.

Thanks again.

-=E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel View Post
I really like the stackexchange-like format and believe it's an advancement over the more "traditional" forum format, because it's no-nonsense, quick, no introductory blabla and so on.

However both formats have their uses, a forum is better for questions which might lead to longer answers.

The stackexchange-like format is better for questions which can be answered unambiguously and which are unlikely to lead to discussion.

There is one thing I absolutely hate about the stackexchange-based sites in general, though, and that is log in via OpenID! For example if you have several gmail-addresses which link to same gmail-account (yes, such things exist, for example I have one googlemail address and one gmail address but it's actually the same account), OpenID can be hell. Sure, one could make one more account for example with Yahoo just to make one more OpenID account, but then again one could make a new account right away at the site where one wants to log in in the first place. I experienced lots of issues with OpenID log in in different contexts.