Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Question

Hello, I am a new graduate student and I am hoping to be able to do some sequence analysis, but here is the problem: I have never done anything like this before and I don't know anyone with the experience. So I am hoping this forum can help me.

I want to investigate some genomic data that is present in an sra file. I am specifically looking for sequences similar to a gene with a known full cDNA sequence. How can I do this? what software do I need? Is it even possible?

If anyone can help that would be great

Also, nice to meet you

Everything is possible. The question is what skills you have to make it possible. Can you write small perl codes? Can you download and install readily available programs?

Many aspects of your question are not clear from the short description. Are you trying to find SNPs? Are you trying to find genes in a related organism? So, let me create one example and answer it. Let us say you have a SRA file with Illumina gene (RNAseq) data from one organism (one type of mosquito - A) and you have full length cDNA from a related organism (different type of mosquito - B). You want to figure out the homologous gene in mosquito A.

In that case, you can use Bowtie to align all RNAseq reads to the cDNA, and then assemble the matching reads with any simple program like cap3.

You can see that I made many assumptions in the above description. Any change in the assumption (let's say 454 data instead of Illumina) will change the answer. So you have to be more specific.

You may read some of the descriptions in these commentaries (http://www.homolog.us/blogs/category/introductory-2/) to learn about wide variety of analysis tools and skills that all fall under bioinformatics. It is not all about finding programs, downloading and running.
    http://homolog.us

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses