X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skewed MAplot - DESeq

Hi,

As seen below my MAplots for RNAseq from DESeq are a bit skewed;
    To me 2 and 3 are acceptable while no. 1 show clear slope suggesting that there is more upregulation of genes with lower expression and etc.
    is this a normalization artifact?

I would appreciate for any suggestion, I tried to estimate dispersions in different ways, also different combination between replicates, still the same...

1.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	307920
    Last edited by ekimmike; 10-03-2012, 02:10 AM. Reason: pic upload

If only look at the MA plot, it is obvious that the condition 1 are skewed , suggesting upregulation.

RNA-seq is better than microarray in low-abundance quantification. So I think the result in condition is not due to noise or detection limit. But different library construction could lead to protocol-dependent biases due to GC content and transcript length as well as stereotypic heterogeneity in coverage across transcripts correlated with position relative to RNA termini and priming sequence bias.[1] Maybe you should take a look at these biases.

[1]Synthetic spike-in standards for RNA-seq experiments

Comment

could this be a problem of mapping instead?

Originally posted by Luyi Tian View Post
      If only look at the MA plot, it is obvious that the condition 1 are skewed , suggesting upregulation.
      I could send some more plots for diagnostics

different library construction could lead to protocol-dependent biases due to GC content and transcript length as well as stereotypic heterogeneity in coverage across transcripts correlated with position relative to RNA termini and priming sequence bias.
      I tried to separate replicates and calculated DE for each case; sample which is more GC biased looks very similar

Synthetic spike-in standards for RNA-seq experiments
      Actually, the size factors assigned based on 50 spike-ins are much worse than those calculated from DESeq based on library size

Comment

I don't know.
        But personally speaking, I think bias caused by protocol or data processing method won't cause such obvious difference in two samples.

Comment

I have the same problem, though my plots look much more skewed than that. If it's not library construction, then what could it be? Can there be a biological reason? My groups are very different from each other. I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts and advice.

Comment

ekimmike, did you ever find out why you plot looked like that?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses