Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whataBamBam View Post
    Great. Actually my original interpretation (before I posted this) was correct then. That the p values are perfectly valid (in fact conservative) and the problem of no replicates is actually low statistical power.

So basically you are saying that you have less statistical power because you have overestimated the variance. And if you see significant differences DESPITE this low statistical power then go for it.

To be fair it says in the vignette (or the paper I can't remember which) that there is simply low statistical power if you have no replicates.
    If the hypothesis test was significant, this would indicate that there isn't a problem with power, since a lower powered test should make it more difficult to get significant results, if the test was actually answering the question you were asking. Though in theory this does seem a little confusing, because getting a hypothesis to fit thousands of sample should be harder than just a few samples, however with thousands of samples the means in the population can be known very accurately, so even trivial differences like color between two placebos can be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by rskr View Post
      If the hypothesis test was significant, this would indicate that there isn't a problem with power, since a lower powered test should make it more difficult to get significant results, if the test was actually answering the question you were asking. Though in theory this does seem a little confusing, because getting a hypothesis to fit thousands of sample should be harder than just a few samples, however with thousands of samples the means in the population can be known very accurately, so even trivial differences like color between two placebos can be significant.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindley's_paradox
      Yeah the first part is what I meant - well kind of. Yes a lower power test makes it more difficult to observe significant results - but we observe them. So the test had enough power to detect the differences it detected but there could be other differences it did not detect because it did not have enough power. This is what I mean by saying it's conservative.

The next part I'm less sure about.. but I think this paradox, Lindleys paradox would only apply if there were a very large number of replicates? Which we aren't ever likely to see.

Comment

Originally posted by whataBamBam View Post
        Yeah the first part is what I meant - well kind of. Yes a lower power test makes it more difficult to observe significant results - but we observe them. So the test had enough power to detect the differences it detected but there could be other differences it did not detect because it did not have enough power. This is what I mean by saying it's conservative.

The next part I'm less sure about.. but I think this paradox, Lindleys paradox would only apply if there were a very large number of replicates? Which we aren't ever likely to see.
        I don't know, I've seen some impressive microarray datasets, I don't see any reason that when rna-seq data drops a little in price there won't be some large data sets.

Comment

Hi

I want to use the DESEQ package between a control (3 biological replicates) and treatment (1 biological replicate).

IN DESeq I herefore used the following code, and got 266 genes with padj < 0.05:

table <- read.delim("test.txt")
          row.names(table) <- table$Feature_ID
          count_table <- table[, -1]
          conds <- c("ctrl", "ctrl", "ctrl", "treatment")
          cds <- newCountDataSet(count_table, conds)
          cds <- estimateSizeFactors(cds)
          cds <- estimateDispersions(cds, method="blind", sharingMode="fit-only")
          results <- nbinomTest(cds, "ctrl", "treatment")

In DESeq2 I used the follwing command, but got > 10000 genes with padj < 0.05:

table <- read.delim("test.txt")
          row.names(table) <- table$Feature_ID
          count_table <- table[, -1]
          colData <- DataFrame(condition=factor(c("ctrl", "ctrl", "ctrl", "treatment")))
          dds <- DESeqDataSetFromMatrix(count_table, colData, formula(~ condition))
          results <- DESeq(dds, minReplicatesForReplace=Inf)

So probably I need to add extra parameters to the DESEQ2 analysis but for now I can't figure out how?

Thank you for helping

Wannes
          Last edited by tompoes; 12-02-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Hi,
            Can anyone advise me if its okay to normalize my data-set before mapping my reads to the genome?

Thanks

Comment

There's nothing to normalize before mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
                To be honest, we couldn't yet be bothered to explain how to analyse such data in DESeq2. It's tricky to write up because too many people will misinterpret whatever I write as if it were actually possible to conduct a meaningful statistical analysis when comparing just two samples.

So, if you promise to not use any such comparisons for actual science, here is how you do it:

Start as above:

Code:
                library(DESeq2)
                library(pasilla)
                data("pasillaGenes")
                countData <- counts(pasillaGenes)
                countData<-countData[,c("treated1fb","untreated1fb")]
                colData <- pData(pasillaGenes)[c("treated1fb","untreated1fb"),c("condition","type")]
                dds <- DESeqDataSetFromMatrix(
                       countData = countData,
                       colData = colData,
                       design = ~ condition)
                Now use DESeq2's new "rlog transformation". This replaced the VST we had before. It transforms the average of the genes across samples to a log2 scale but "pulls in" those genes for which the evidence for strong fold changes is weak due to low counts.

Code:
                rld <- rlogTransformation( dds )
                As this is a logarithm-like scale, the differences between the samples can be considered as a "regularized log2 fold change". Let's make a result data frame:
                Code:
                res <- data.frame(
                   assay(rld), 
                   avgLogExpr = ( assay(rld)[,2] + assay(rld)[,1] ) / 2,
                   rLogFC = assay(rld)[,2] - assay(rld)[,1] )
                And now we have a ranking of genes by regularized fold changes:

Code:
                > head( res[ order(res$rLogFC), ] )
                            treated1fb untreated1fb avgLogExpr    rLogFC
                FBgn0011260   7.830359     6.627326   7.228842 -1.203033
                FBgn0001226  10.128636     8.929985   9.529311 -1.198652
                FBgn0034718   8.503006     7.315640   7.909323 -1.187366
                FBgn0003501   7.927864     6.743974   7.335919 -1.183889
                FBgn0033635  11.126300     9.973979  10.550139 -1.152321
                FBgn0033367  13.411814    12.269436  12.840625 -1.142378
                This ranking put ones genes on top which are strongly downregulated in the second sample compared to the first one. If you do this with normal log expressions, the weak genes will appear at the top because they are noisiest and hence tend to have exaggerated fold changes.

The advantage of this procedure is that it does not produce any p values (which would be misleading anyway).
                Hi everyone!
                just a silly question... why is a (-) and not a division (/) to calculate the rlogFC;

res <- data.frame(
                assay(rld),
                rLogFC = assay(rld)[,2] / assay(rld)[,1] )

Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by FJwlf View Post
                  Hi everyone!
                  just a silly question... why is a (-) and not a division (/) to calculate the rlogFC;

res <- data.frame(
                  assay(rld),
                  rLogFC = assay(rld)[,2] / assay(rld)[,1] )

Thank you!!
                  The values are already log scale and log(a) - log(b) is the same as log(a/b).

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                    The values are already log scale and log(a) - log(b) is the same as log(a/b).
                    Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses