SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to convert a SNP.txt to a bed file or get a SNP.bed from samtools? Ling Bioinformatics 7 04-02-2015 06:17 AM
Updated How to convert .txt file to .bed .GFF or .BAR file format, forevermark4 Bioinformatics 2 06-30-2014 05:02 AM
Is there a BED file format validator? Does a BED file have to be sorted position? LauraSmith Bioinformatics 3 05-21-2013 11:54 AM
Does standalone Blat can take multiple chromosome in one command line, find matches? ketan_bnf Bioinformatics 2 06-07-2012 12:12 AM
program to find common secondary structure of RNA from many sequences zhlyang Bioinformatics 3 06-17-2010 07:10 PM

Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
epi

Default find overlaps/common in multiple bed file

Does anyway have experience to find commonalies (or overlaps) between bed files. I have 4 bed files and want to find what intervals are common to all.

And I don't have any rigid criteria for overlap, any intersection will do.

Appreciate any answers.
epi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Have a look at bedtools, specifically the intersectBed utility.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
GenoMax

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pybedtools is a python extension of the bedtools that was mentioned in the post #2 by dpryan.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
husamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by epi View Post
Does anyway have experience to find commonalies (or overlaps) between bed files. I have 4 bed files and want to find what intervals are common to all.

And I don't have any rigid criteria for overlap, any intersection will do.

Appreciate any answers.
I mentioned the wrong function I meant to mention Galaxy with the Intersect function in the operate on genomic intervals functions
here is example

http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/

Last edited by husamia; 01-23-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: corrected intersect instead of merege for overlapping bed files
husamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
epi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
Have a look at bedtools, specifically the intersectBed utility.
Thanks for response everyone !

I could implement intersectBed as pairwise. And to find common among 4, I can do multiple pairwise, but it seems there is some chance for false negatives.

I dint get chance to look at the python script so far, I wonder if that adresses this issue.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
husamia

I mentioned the wrong function, I modified my response above to reflect the correct reference function. Sorry for confusion
husamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Quote:
Thanks for response everyone !

I could implement intersectBed as pairwise. And to find common among 4, I can do multiple pairwise, but it seems there is some chance for false negatives.

I dint get chance to look at the python script so far, I wonder if that adresses this issue.
The python interface isn't very different from direct command line usage and I would suspect produces the same results. I also don't see how you'd get a false negative, provided you actually want regions existing in all of the bed files.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
epi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
The python interface isn't very different from direct command line usage and I would suspect produces the same results. I also don't see how you'd get a false negative, provided you actually want regions existing in all of the bed files.
Thanks again for responding. I realize i did not state my objective well enough.
This is chip-seq analysis for which I have bed files (peaks). There could be a situation when peak 1 intersect peak 3 at 5' and peak 2 intersect peak 3 at 3`. but peak 1 and peak 2 do not intersect.
Read Peak1, Peak2 and Peak3 coming form Samples 1,2 and 3 please.
intersectBed will not reveal these peaks on my first paiwise comparison (peak1 and peak2) so it will be gone. Logically, it seems they come from same region so I was wondering if there is a tool that could capture those.

I must mention that this is not a real example, just i theoretical possibility which crossed my mind. May b I am just too obsessed over it
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
mgogol

You want multiIntersectBed...

http://biostar.stackexchange.com/que...iple-bed-files
mgogol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
arvid

Quote:
Read Peak1, Peak2 and Peak3 coming form Samples 1,2 and 3 please.
intersectBed will not reveal these peaks on my first paiwise comparison (peak1 and peak2) so it will be gone. Logically, it seems they come from same region so I was wondering if there is a tool that could capture those.
You can include both A and B regions in the output from intersectBed (e.g. with -wo), merge them with mergeBed and then intersect the merged output to the next sample (to "grow" the overlapping regions).
arvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
epi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgogol View Post
bullseye !!

Looks like can the job, will try it out ...
appreciate your response
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
sjneph

If you prefer a much more scalable solution that can do this simple intersection (and any other set-like operation) on any number of bedfiles at once, check out BEDOPS.

http://code.google.com/p/bedops/
sjneph is offline   Reply With Quote