SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWA manual's -q description too technical CHRYSES Bioinformatics 13 01-09-2014 05:56 AM
samtools pileup manual description gormleymp Bioinformatics 2 04-25-2013 08:33 PM
Functions of the protein "zinc finger and BTB domain-containing protein" Testtube General 0 08-31-2012 09:20 AM
454 fasta qual description format NGS QC toolkit Quality Trimming pepperoni Bioinformatics 1 02-24-2012 08:55 AM
SOAP output format - description? Aengus Bioinformatics 2 09-08-2010 06:26 AM

Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
mkdir

Default protein gi number to description

Hello,

I got gi numbers for blastp -outfmt 6 results. I am wondering which programs and database can convert the gi number list to protein descriptions. Any help? Thank you very much.
mkdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

In theory BLAST could do this for you from the description in the database, please email them to let them know people would use this:
http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/201...criptions.html

But as to the general question, you want to go from a protein GI number, e.g. GI:7525018, to a description, here something like "ATP synthase CF1 alpha subunit"?

You could use the NCBI Entrez API to lookup by protein GI number, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25499/

Another online alternative is the TogoWS REST API http://togows.dbcls.jp/site/en/ which makes this very easy thanks to their option to extract a specific field from a record, and can be used at the command line, in a script, or in your web-browser:

Code:
$ curl http://togows.dbcls.jp/entry/protein/7525018/definition
ATP synthase CF1 alpha subunit (chloroplast) [Arabidopsis thaliana].

Last edited by maubp; 10-30-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Fixing tags; suggest emailing NCBI about BLAST
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdir View Post
Hello,

I got gi numbers for blastp -outfmt 6 results. I am wondering which programs and database can convert the gi number list to protein descriptions. Any help? Thank you very much.
I'm guessing from the fact that you said you used '-outfmt 6' that you ran your BLAST search locally, using BLAST+, with a local database. If that is the case then you already have the toolset and data needed. You can use the blastdbcmd which is part of the BLAST+ distribution. This command should give you what your want.

Code:
# blastdbcmd -db <your_blastdb_name> -entry_batch <gi_list_file> -outfmt '%g %t' -target_only -out <output_file_name>
The gi_list_file contains the gi's you want to search, one entry per line. The outfmt will print "gi#<space>definition", one per line. You can adjust the outfmt as desired (blastdbcmd -help for a full description of possible formats).

Last edited by kmcarr; 10-30-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added '-target_only' to command line. This will output only the first definition if multiple definitions map to the gi
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

That's rather neat kmcarr, in this case for just the one GI number in my example:
Code:
$ blastdbcmd -db /data/blastdb/ncbi/nr -entry 7525018 -outfmt '%t' -target_only
ATP synthase CF1 alpha subunit [Arabidopsis thaliana]
Nice
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
mkdir

Thank you very much kmcarr and maubp. This worked out.
mkdir is offline   Reply With Quote