Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Always get the same insert size after PCR despite initial size selection on gDNA melop Sample Prep / Library Generation 10 07-13-2016 11:41 PM
Maximum concentration of adapter dimers? Ingeneious Illumina/Solexa 5 12-17-2015 03:38 PM
Problems with Adapter Dimers friedrim Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 08-12-2014 07:15 AM
Removing Adapter Dimers with AMPure Beads jmwhitha Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 03-22-2013 07:28 AM
Bioanalyzer results - adapter dimers in ChIP-seq library samples Rosmano Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 06-20-2012 06:04 AM

Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
Location: Lincoln, NE

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Default Adapter Dimers after Size Selection (?)

Hello all!

Recently I ran a library on our lab's new Next Seq 500 and came across an interesting problem. While processing the data from the instrument, I noticed that one of my samples had an excess of 35 bp poly(N) in 40% (yikes!). From what I can tell this generally means adapter dimer, as the bcl2fastq tool masks adapters with "N" as well as reads below the default of 35 bases. None of my other samples had this problem.

We had previously ran the samples before pooling on an Agilent TapeStation, and noticed this particular sample had a high concentration of adapter dimer. So we ran the library on a Blue Pippin to select for a bp range of 200-500, and rechecked with the TapeStation to confirm the 120 bp peak was gone. Which it was.

So we proceeded with the run. And then I discovered this problem.

I then ran some of what I had left of the size selected library on both a regular agarose gel and a denaturing gel. A ~120 bp band showed up on the denaturing gel only!

My question is, has anyone run into this before or do they know if some secondary structure could be causing it? Where could this band be hiding?
mhapp95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
josh kinman
Location: Austin

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 71

I've seen this with libraries that had a lot of dimer going into amplification and the library was overamplified.

I think that when the PCR primers have been exhausted, the dimer strands will anneal to library strands at the adapter regions creating a half dimer half library bubble product. When these products are run on a non-denaturing gel they will migrate slower than a 120bp dimer and appear larger, but when you use a denaturing gel the dimer strand will run as expected.

Also, the dimer strands will cluster more efficiently during sequencing which will cause them to be over-represented in the sequencing results.
Josh Kinman
jdk787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
Location: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,317

Wow mhapp95, that is awesome that you actually ran the denaturing gel. I always suspected that what jdk787 was describing, was what was going on, but I was too lazy to do what you did.

Can you give details on your procedure for doing the denaturing gel? Seems like if you used the denaturing gel instead of your Blue Pippin, you would be able to completely remove adapter dimers from a library.

pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Registered Vendor
Location: Canada

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3

I know of a group that saw this years ago when working with miRNA preps. Native gels would show a single band after size selection, but 2 bands on denaturing gels. They actually sequenced it and found that is was indeed an adaptermer. In the native gel, it formed a double-stranded species with actual library fragments, which led to a hairpin structure with aberrant mobility that allowed this structure to migrate with the normal library in a native gel.
CoastGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Junior Member
Location: Canada

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3

We've seen the typical ssDNA-bubble products/daisy chain libraries many times. I used to ignore it until we encountered a library that was hiding enormous amounts of adaptor dimers in there.

Here's an image of the original library we received (a ~600 bp amplicon):


Almost every sequence was clearly a short primer dimer. We reasoned the same as others here: when the primers are limiting in the amplification, dimers could hybridize to the library fragment ends and escape clean-up.

To fix this we re-amplified for a few cycles with fresh PCR reagents to denture these duplexes and make everything properly double-stranded, then we could clean up the dimers.

Here's what the library looked like after that PCR test, prior to clean-up:

Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

adapter dimer, failed size selection, illumina, next seq

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO