Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are unequal pool sizes for RNA-seq acceptable?

Background:
    I want to find differentially expressed genes between wild type (WT) and knockout (KO) mice of mixed background using RNA-seq (Illumina HiSeq, 50M reads standard at my core). There will be anywhere between 1-4 KO and 1-4 WT animals per litter.

Because it is difficult to isolate enough cells from one animal, I need to pool cells from WT littermates and KO littermates. I need 2 animals minimum, but 3 and up is preferable. My thinking is that each litter will be one biological replicate, and I plan to sequence RNA from 3-5 litters (3-5 biological replicates). Because the number of KO vs. WT animals within a litter varies, I may have more of one genotype than the other.

Question:
    If I had this scenario:
    Bio rep 1: Pool of 3 WT and Pool of 2 KO
    Bio rep 2: Pool of 2 WT and Pool of 2 KO
    Bio rep 3: Pool of 2 WT and Pool of 4 KO

...or any combination thereof, would this be a statistically poor design? Should I keep the number of animals in each pool constant for all biological replicates? Only within biological replicates?

Another consideration: Will this be representative of only one mating cage? Cost/time is limited to maybe one time on the sequencer, two chips.

In the age of single-cell RNAseq, there's little remaining reason to pool multiple samples like that.

BTW, I'm glad you're taking litter into account. A lot of people don't do that and then their results end up being do to a litter effect.

Comment

So you're saying what exactly? Pool size doesn't matter? Keep pool size equal at the minimum of 2 and the sequencing can take care of the rest?

Comment

I'm saying pooling is a last resort. Try to find someone local doing single-cell sequencing and you'll be able to both increase your N and eliminate pooling in one go.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses