No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequencing technology database?

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a database of sequencing technologies, companies, instruments (platforms), and capabilities (i.e. run-types), not necessarily limited to NGS, but starting there initially.

An example data-point could be:
    * Pyrosequencing
    ** Roche
    *** GS-FLX
    **** PE

Before we get bogged down adding data to the database, I'd like to discuss what types of data you think should be collected? i.e. what fields to include in the database?

Some ideas include: machine cost, reads per run, read length (statistics), run time, errors (error types and statistics), ...

This will be a database in the wiki, so once we've settled on a data-model, everyone can contribute to the data, allowing the community to more easily compare platforms and keep track of trends and updates.

I'm thinking simple is best, but please let me know what you think should be included in such a database :-)
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Hi Dan,

You make me think of this http://www.molecularecologist.com/ne...eldguide-2012/

Originally posted by dan View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning to build a database of sequencing technologies, companies, instruments (platforms), and capabilities (i.e. run-types), not necessarily limited to NGS, but starting there initially.

An example data-point could be:
    * Pyrosequencing
    ** Roche
    *** GS-FLX
    **** PE

Before we get bogged down adding data to the database, I'd like to discuss what types of data you think should be collected? i.e. what fields to include in the database?

Some ideas include: machine cost, reads per run, read length (statistics), run time, errors (error types and statistics), ...

This will be a database in the wiki, so once we've settled on a data-model, everyone can contribute to the data, allowing the community to more easily compare platforms and keep track of trends and updates.

I'm thinking simple is best, but please let me know what you think should be included in such a database :-)
    Marco

Comment

Another thought is,

machine and reagent costs vary from country to country. I think it depends who you are (big institution or small, etc). And throughput depends on how much you can squeeze out..

Put it another way around, I do think it may uncover these hidden marketing strategies, reflect the true costs..
      Last edited by marcowanger; 01-29-2013, 06:21 AM. Reason: remove the quote
      Marco

Comment

Oooh! Nice! What license is that data :-D

Comment

Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
          Another thought is,

machine and reagent costs vary from country to country. I think it depends who you are (big institution or small, etc). And throughput depends on how much you can squeeze out..

Put it another way around, I do think it may uncover these hidden marketing strategies, reflect the true costs..
          One way round this would be to allow people to submit estimates. Then we could provide upper and lower bounds, median etc... However, the idea of the wiki is to let that kind of consensus emerge through discussion... Not sure what's best here... I guess we could just have one value, and if people complain bitterly, provide for multiple values to be added?

Comment

i think multiple values may be better. If only 1 single value is allowed, it might becomes a reference price list by manufacturer (IMHO, is useless and miss the point of community oriented).
            Marco

Comment

I think a key bit for such a database is to timestamp all the entries on price, performance, etc. That way you could pull out trends.

The mix-and-match nature of the technologies can make life more complicated and may be fun modeling. For example, with PacBio there are separate loading and running chemistries, and right now there are two choices for each (sadly, with the same names in each one) -- C3 and XL. So you can load C3 and run XL (but I think nobody does; puts each in its weak spot), load XL and run C3 (longer reads at higher quality), load XL and run XL (longest reads but quality drop) or load C3 run C3 (if you don't have any XL kits).

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
                I think a key bit for such a database is to timestamp all the entries on price, performance, etc. That way you could pull out trends.

The mix-and-match nature of the technologies can make life more complicated and may be fun modeling. For example, with PacBio there are separate loading and running chemistries, and right now there are two choices for each (sadly, with the same names in each one) -- C3 and XL. So you can load C3 and run XL (but I think nobody does; puts each in its weak spot), load XL and run C3 (longer reads at higher quality), load XL and run XL (longest reads but quality drop) or load C3 run C3 (if you don't have any XL kits).
                Cry...

So ... I guess... I'd call each one of these combinations a different 'capability' of the one machine?

Comment

Cry...

So ... I guess... I'd call each one of these combinations a different 'capability' of the one machine?
                  I think that is why we need a database for this ..
                  Marco

Comment

Any more thoughts on fields to collect? Based on the link from Marco, I currently have this list of fields:
                    * Instrument
                    * Run time
                    * Millions of Reads/run
                    * Bases / read
                    * Yield (MB/run)

What about costs? Cost per run, cost per box? Cost of sample prep? Kits?

Comment

Any more thoughts on fields to collect? Based on the link from Marco, I currently have this list of fields:
                      * Instrument
                      * Run time
                      * Millions of Reads/run
                      * Bases / read
                      * Yield (MB/run)

What about costs? Cost per run, cost per box? Cost of sample prep? Kits?
                      I think all make sense.
                      Marco

Comment

Thing is, I don't want to implement a LIMS (I don't mind doing it, but I don't have time to do it!)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses