No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing paired-end inconsistencies in 454 scaffolds

Greetings
    We are attempting to sequence microbial genomes with paired-end 454 data supplemented with Illumina/Solexa GAII data to resolve homopolymers etc. Newbler assembly of the 454 data has generated some very nice scaffolds but I have detected at least one inverted contig. I was wondering if anybody knows a means of viewing the Newbler output that will show the paired end relationships as a means of detecting those that are inconsistent. It seems to me that the ACE file does not include scaffold information and Newbler generated scaffolds are simple multifasta files. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Cheers and thanks

Viewing paired-end inconsistencies in 454 scaffolds

Hi,

have a look at the AMOS assembly package (http://amos.sourceforge.net/). It contains a script called amosvalidate that checks for such inconsistencies in assemblies
    (also described in this paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...earch=18341692).

The package also contains Hawkeye, a nice assembly viewer, that can visualize these inconsistencies and that is fast enough for displaying next generation sequencing data (at least for small assemblies).

However installation of the amos package is a little bit tricky ...

Greets,

Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by phageman View Post
      Greetings
      We are attempting to sequence microbial genomes with paired-end 454 data supplemented with Illumina/Solexa GAII data to resolve homopolymers etc. Newbler assembly of the 454 data has generated some very nice scaffolds but I have detected at least one inverted contig. I was wondering if anybody knows a means of viewing the Newbler output that will show the paired end relationships as a means of detecting those that are inconsistent. It seems to me that the ACE file does not include scaffold information and Newbler generated scaffolds are simple multifasta files. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Cheers and thanks

Have you looked at the newbler outout file "454PairStatus.txt"?
      This file prints all the pair reads status and coordinates for the assembly. It does not have all the nice pair info on ace file, but at lease it gives pair information there.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses