No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isoform lengths to gene length

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if it was possible, from a list of its isoform lengths to calculate the gene length. I know RSEM is doing it, but I wouldn't want to run another pipeline...
    Here is the deal :

length
    isoform1 994
    isoform2 1723
    isoform3 2214

RSEM gives, from these 3 isoforms:

length
    gene 1714.64

I have already organized lists of isoforms. So it is pretty easy to gather them together into genes. I did that to get gene abundances from the isoforms abundance, but I am stuck with the gene lengths. Is there an easy way of calculating it?

here is what I found on the web :
    "The classic way as defined in [MWM+08] takes the number of bases that
    is covered by at least one isoform of that gene. Alternatively, the average isoform length of a gene can be used. As a third option, the RSEM read assignment on isoform level can be used to calculate the gene length as a weighted average of isoform length."

Thanks!!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
    Today, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses