SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to subtract specific DNA sequences from *mpileup* files (programs and scripts) aperdomos Bioinformatics 1 01-24-2012 08:34 AM
finding exon numbers in fasta exon file efoss Bioinformatics 1 10-20-2011 03:57 PM
Finding a specific gene in transcriptome assembly psurana Bioinformatics 4 09-22-2011 01:14 PM
FRT-seq: amplification-free, strand-specific transcriptome sequencing severin Literature Watch 0 03-22-2010 04:53 AM

Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
andreask

Default Getting specific Exon sequences from Transcriptome

Hi, I have downloaded a dataset of approximately 16Gb of reads with a length of 17 bases from the SRA, and I'd like to find reads for a specific gene / its exons.

My current strategy is to format a blast database and just search for the exon sequences. Is that a good way? First of all, the SRA blast database doesn't contain the dataset in question.

I also thought about assembling the transcriptome such that I could have some sort of sequences for all the exons in the data. But as I have seen this is not so easy, or even impossible. I also don't have access to a computer with more than 32Gb RAM.

Basically I just want to extract the short reads of the exons in question to help with resequencing the gene. I also already know that this gene is highly underexpressed in the tissue the SRA data was sequenced from.
andreask is offline   Reply With Quote