SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MPI and multi-threading in trans-abyss gwilymh Bioinformatics 1 09-18-2015 01:42 PM
memory Problem With Blat mido1951 Bioinformatics 7 06-18-2015 01:20 AM
HiSeq X Ten Restrictions Will Remain For At Least Another Year AllSeq Illumina/Solexa 0 04-24-2014 08:39 AM
RNA-Seq: R-SAP: a multi-threading computational pipeline for the characterization of Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-31-2012 03:00 AM
novoalign multi-threading or para-processing? qqcandy Bioinformatics 7 09-28-2010 04:33 PM

Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
gwilymh

Default Problem with SSPACE, multi-threading and memory restrictions

Hi,
I am attempting to use SSPACE version 3 to re-scaffold some mRNA contigs using paired-end RNA-Seq data. While SSPACe was designed for rescaffolding genomes, I see no reason why it should not work in similar fashion for re-scaffolding de novo assembled RNA contigs.

SSPACE is discussed in seqanswers here:
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8350

The SSPACE webpage can be reached from here:
http://www.baseclear.com/genomics/bi...setools/SSPACE

I consistently get the following error message:
=>date: Mapping reads to contigs with Bowtie
Thread 8 terminated abnormally: Can't open bwa output -- fatal
Out of memory!
Process 'extend/format contigs' failed on date
with:
resources_used.mem=47,424,992kb
resources_used.vmem=64,093,240kb
resources_used.walltime=00:34:33
It seems to me that SSPACE is running out of physical memory while trying to open the bwa output.

The "Thread 8 terminated abnormally" is especially cryptic, as the program was set to only run with 6 threads (-T 6).

My run parameters are:
Code:
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=6,mem=47gb,walltime=72:00:00
SSPACE_FILE=${HOME}/src/SSPACE-STANDARD-3.0_linux-x86_64/SSPACE_Standard_v3.0.pl 
LIBRARY_FILE=/filepath/library_file_2.txt
CONTIG_FILE=/filepath/A_planci_pcg_transdec_MePath2Renam_echinoHomology.fasta		#-s option, contigs that we are scaffolding
MIN_LINKS=10		   	# -k 10
THREADS=6			    # -T, threads
SKIP=0				    #-S 0=no, -S 1=yes, skip processing of reads
EXTEND_CONTIGS=1		#-x, extend contigs using sequence data, 0=no, 1=yes, default 0
VERBOSE=1			    #-v  Runs the scaffolding process in verbose mode (-v 1=yes, -v 0=no, default -v 0, optional)
$SSPACE_FILE -l $LIBRARY_FILE -s $CONTIG_FILE -k $MIN_LINKS -T $THREADS -S $SKIP -x $EXTEND_CONTIGS -v $VERBOSE
The supporting library file is attached.

I previously tried to run SSPACE over multiple nodes, but it seemed to use the cores on only one of the nodes.

Does anyone know of a way to get SSPACE to run across multiple nodes? Can it be run with mpi multi-threading? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for reducing memory requirements?
Attached Files
File Type: txt library_file_2.txt (339 Bytes, 16 views)

Last edited by GenoMax; 10-06-2015 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added CODE tags to improve display
gwilymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
AnnabelleVH

Hi gwilymh,

Did you solve your problem?
I encounter the same error, i would love to beneficit from your help if you found a solution.

cheers,
AnnabelleVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
sunnycqcn

Default Did you solve your problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilymh View Post
Hi,
I am attempting to use SSPACE version 3 to re-scaffold some mRNA contigs using paired-end RNA-Seq data. While SSPACe was designed for rescaffolding genomes, I see no reason why it should not work in similar fashion for re-scaffolding de novo assembled RNA contigs.

SSPACE is discussed in seqanswers here:
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8350

The SSPACE webpage can be reached from here:
http://www.baseclear.com/genomics/bi...setools/SSPACE

I consistently get the following error message:
=>date: Mapping reads to contigs with Bowtie
Thread 8 terminated abnormally: Can't open bwa output -- fatal
Out of memory!
Process 'extend/format contigs' failed on date
with:
resources_used.mem=47,424,992kb
resources_used.vmem=64,093,240kb
resources_used.walltime=00:34:33
It seems to me that SSPACE is running out of physical memory while trying to open the bwa output.

The "Thread 8 terminated abnormally" is especially cryptic, as the program was set to only run with 6 threads (-T 6).

My run parameters are:
Code:
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=6,mem=47gb,walltime=72:00:00
SSPACE_FILE=${HOME}/src/SSPACE-STANDARD-3.0_linux-x86_64/SSPACE_Standard_v3.0.pl 
LIBRARY_FILE=/filepath/library_file_2.txt
CONTIG_FILE=/filepath/A_planci_pcg_transdec_MePath2Renam_echinoHomology.fasta		#-s option, contigs that we are scaffolding
MIN_LINKS=10		   	# -k 10
THREADS=6			    # -T, threads
SKIP=0				    #-S 0=no, -S 1=yes, skip processing of reads
EXTEND_CONTIGS=1		#-x, extend contigs using sequence data, 0=no, 1=yes, default 0
VERBOSE=1			    #-v  Runs the scaffolding process in verbose mode (-v 1=yes, -v 0=no, default -v 0, optional)
$SSPACE_FILE -l $LIBRARY_FILE -s $CONTIG_FILE -k $MIN_LINKS -T $THREADS -S $SKIP -x $EXTEND_CONTIGS -v $VERBOSE
The supporting library file is attached.

I previously tried to run SSPACE over multiple nodes, but it seemed to use the cores on only one of the nodes.

Does anyone know of a way to get SSPACE to run across multiple nodes? Can it be run with mpi multi-threading? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for reducing memory requirements?
I met the same problem. Did you solve your problem?
If you have, could you share your experiences?
Thanks
sunnycqcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multi-threading, parallel, rnaseq, scaffolding, sspace