SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On using BLASTX to find the protein coding frame woa Bioinformatics 1 11-27-2012 12:34 AM
Protein Coding genes gokhulkrishnakilaru Bioinformatics 0 02-10-2012 11:10 AM
align RNA seq to coding region rururara Bioinformatics 0 02-09-2011 10:41 PM
PubMed: Chromatin poises miRNA- and protein-coding genes for expression. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 08-29-2009 06:04 AM

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
the_august

Question protein coding region of transcript assembled by reference

Hello All,

I've got some sequences of RNA transcript made by 454 sequencing and assembled using sequences from a reference genome. I have the sequence of the transcript and the corresponding GenBank ID of the sequence used for its assembly.

How I can predict the protein coding sequence of the transcript. Do I need to align them to the reference sequence first? Is there any particular protocol that people follow? Are there any software tools for doing this? I'm conversant in programming so can do some coding if necessary.

In all probability the sequences contain some frameshift errors. So any remedial method is much appreciated.

Many Thanks
the_august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Kennels

I'm also interested in the methodologies people use, but here is something I've just started trying, although I'm not sure what to do after such a step:

http://trinityrnaseq.sourceforge.net...anscripts.html
Kennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
the_august

Hi Kennels,

I guess the trinity method you've described is to get transcript for De-novo assembled sequences.

I'm looking for methods that can predict protein coding regions from reference sequence guided assembled transcript.

Thanks
the_august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Kennels

Hi
Actually, it predicts all 6 frames ORFs and selects the best based on the methodology described. You end up with a file with protein sequences, and you can also manipulate what sort of output you want. It does this with assembled transcript sequences as the input, but the situation is analogous to what you are trying to do, unless I understood your problem wrongly.
Kennels is offline   Reply With Quote