Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use HTSeq to count RNA-Seq overlap w/ whole genes (intron+exon) vs. exon only

So I recently performed RNA-seq using the SmartSeq2 on RNA from neuronal nuclei.

My sample was a pool of sorted neuronal nuclei from mouse. Uing STAR to align, I found that about 20% is exonic, and 60-70% is intronic. Even though I polyA selected, there is still a ton of retained intron, which is consistent with a recent paper that did single nucleus RNASeq in the human brain https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27339989

But the question is, what to do with the intronic reads?

One of my goals is differential gene expression. I want to take my RNASeq reads and count the overlap with the whole gene (intron + exon), rather than just exons.

How would I do this? What annotation file should I use for HTSeq? I have a GTF from UCSC, but I see exons, CDS but not the whole gene. How would I go about doing this? Do I need to make a custom GTF using the transcription start and stop sites?

I don't know if it's a good idea to do it this way, since you'll get a higher amount of overlapping features. I hope you have a stranded library.

Nevertheless, in order to get what you described you'll need a GTF which has also "transcript" in the third field ( head -n 1000 my.gtf | cut -f 3 | sort -u ; should also report transcript). ENSEMBL's gtf has it for instance.
    With such a gtf, you can use this feature type instead of exons for counting:

Code:
    htseq-count -t transcript my_alignment.sam my.gtf
    Cheers,

Michael
    Last edited by Michael.Ante; 02-21-2017, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses