Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interspecies alignment and read length comparison?

I am planing on aligning RNASeq reads from a nonmodel plant to a model plant genome. Does anyone have experience with (or know of any great references) comparing the amount of alignment using short (~50bp) reads vs. long reads(~100bp) and the quality of those alignments when aligning to non conspecific reference genomes ?

I have no experience with this, but I would venture to guess that you would get better alignment using shorter read lengths. The longer the read, the more differences you would have between the read sequence and the reference sequence which would likely result in poorer mapping.

I am curious though, why align to a model plant? I would think that a large percentage of your reads will fail to align. Why not do a de-novo assembly of the transcriptome and compare this to your model plant? Like I said, I have no experience with this because all my work is done on Arabidopsis, which is well annotated.

Comment

Longer reads are almost always better for alignment. Nonetheless, I agree that de novo assembly would be preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
        Longer reads are almost always better for alignment. Nonetheless, I agree that de novo assembly would be preferred.
        Certainly long reads are better, especially if your reads are from the same organism whose genome you are aligning to. They would also be better for de novo assembly. Which I think is probably the preferred method here, but I'm not sure what BGould wants to do with their data.

However, if for some reason, you were wanting to align reads from a different organism to a model organism (without de novo assembly), I think it would be harder to align longer reads because the longer the read, the more sequence difference there will be between the read and the genome you are aligning to. Your aligner would have to allow for more mismatches between the read and reference. Otherwise, a large number of your reads would not be aligned. As an illustration, say you have two orthologs, one from the model organism that you are aligning to and one in the non-model organism, the source of your reads. Say that there is a difference in the sequence every 25 or 50 bps. The longer the read is, the more of these differences there will be in a read. Unless you really played with the settings of a lot of aligners, I would think that this would result in a large number of reads failing to align.

Somebody correct me if my reasoning is wrong. I find this an interesting scenario and would be curious what the best approach is.

Comment

Nothing prevents you from doing local alignment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses