No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina GAII paired end length differs

Hi
    I recently received GA2 human paired end data. One thing that bothers me is that the length of both the reads combined is odd, 105bp, and not 72bp (2x36) or 100bp (2x50) or 120bp.

I asked the data provider about it, and she said that the cycles used during the run were 50 and 55.

Being a computer scientist by default, is it possible to have the "forward" and "reverse" read of different lengths? Presumable I can just split of the first 50bp to generate PE data for input into Mosaik/Velvet.

All help would be appreciated

Carl

Hi Carl,

It's certainly possible to have unequal f/r read lengths ... the chemistry of the sequencing causes slow degradation of the quality of basecalls, but that depends on a lot of factors (reagent quality, planetary alignment, yada yada). Your sequencing provider may watch each run (the forward, and the reverse), and stop each once the average quality drops below an "acceptable" level, which could be at different cycles. Or, they may have very consistent runs, and have a policy of stopping at a certain cycle for every run. In any case, nothing about the sequencing process constrains the f/r read lengths to be equal.

I'm pretty sure velvet can actually handle unequal f/r lengths, but I'm not sure about mosaik.

~Joe

Comment

Hi Joe.
      Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses