Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential miRNA Expression using Partek

Hello, I am currently using Partek Genomic Suite Software to analyze smallRNA Seq data for miRNA analysis. I unfortunately do not have biological replicates of my two experimental groups (disease and control) and was wondering what statistical options I have when it comes to detecting differential expression. Partek automatically utilizes an ANOVA, so without any replicates I get a ? for each p-value. I know that going simply on fold-change is not enough so I would like to employ some statistical test to get a better idea of which of my miRNAs are significant.

Hi,

It'll be very hard to expect any biological significance for any of your detected miRNAs without the presence of biological replicates (if you are planning to publish this data, you'll need biological replicates). Check the guidelines from the ENCODE project regarding the "best practices" for RNA-seq (most ideas should be the same for miRNA-seq) experiments.

As far as getting some p-values from the data you already have (no biological replicates), you could try using DESeq:

The Bioconductor project aims to develop and share open source software for precise and repeatable analysis of biological data. We foster an inclusive and collaborative community of developers and data scientists.

Just be cautious in making any significant claims about your experiment based on this.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Hi leeor,

In Partek Genomics Suite, during the Quantification step and in the absence of replicates a p-value is calculated for differential expression using a Log Likelihood Ratio test, but this is a very basic statistic as there is no variance component (which comes from having replicates).

Our tool for Differential Expression Analysis uses an ANOVA model which, in the absence of replicates, can calculate ratios and fold-changes, but not p-value as it cannot estimate variance.

If you have no chance to obtain replicates your only option is to perform the Quantification in Genomics Suite, filter the table on p-value (from the Log Likelihood Ratio test) and read count (raw or normalised), and validate expression via qPCR/dPCR or similar.

However at Partek we always recommend the use of true biological replicates as this is the only way to have confidence in your data.

Good luck!

Kind regards,
      Scott (European FAS @ Partek)

Comment

Thanks for the help! Yes, I did initially plan on having biological replicates but my future steps would involve experimental validation .. so I'll take your suggestions on filtering on the p-value from the Log Likelihood Ratio test.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses