No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying splice junction with STAR

Hi,

as mentioned here, we are mapping drosophila samples using the STAR aligner. To get an impression of the mapping quality we compared them also to tophat2 using these commands:

Code:
    ~/software/STAR-STAR_2.4.1c/STAR --runThreadN 15 --genomeDir genomes/Drosophila_melanogaster/STARindex/Dmel/ --readFilesIn $file --readFilesCommand zcat  --sjdbGTFfile genes.gtf --outFilterType BySJout --outFilterMultimapNmax 1 --alignSJoverhangMin 8 --outFileNamePrefix $NEW_FILE.STAR. --outSAMtype BAM Unsorted --outReadsUnmapped Fastx --outFilterMismatchNoverLmax 0.05 --outFilterScoreMinOverLread 0  --outFilterMatchNminOverLread 0 --alignIntronMax 1

tophat2 -p 15 -g 1 -G genes.gtf -o $NEW_FILE.tophat.out  genomes/Drosophila_melanogaster/Ensembl/BDGP6.80/bowtie2index/genome $file
    The mapping percentage varies between better and a lot better towards the STAR algorithm, but when comparing the splice junction files, tophat2 can identify 56058 junctions while STAR only 46855.
    I have looked at the bam files with IGV (images attached below) and it is very clear, that tophat2 can identify a lot of very long splice junctions which STAR can't deal with.

As you can see (light blue lines in IGV), the short splice junctions are identified by both algorithms, but for the longer ones, tophat2 has a lot more of them.

Is there a way to adjust the STAR parameters so that i can also find these junctions?

thanks
    Assa

Last edited by frymor; 08-14-2015, 12:29 AM.

Tophat2 is doing a 2pass search for junctions while STAR is doing just a single pass. There's an option to have STAR do a second pass over things, though I don't recall what it is off-hand (have a look through the documentation).

Comment

Hi Assa,

you are using --alignIntronMax 1, i.e. maximum intron size =1 for unannotated junctions.
      This, of course, prevents STAR from reporting any unannotated junctions - my guess these "long" junctions are all unannotated.
      Please choose whatever max splice gap is reasonable for the fly, I would use --alignIntronMax 100000 .

If this does not solve the discrepancy, we could look at the alignments in more detail.

Cheers
      Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

thanks for the response for both questions.
        the --alignIntronMax 1 was a mistake I have already taken care of. It is true, that a lot of the junctions were than found, but it was also a combination of multiple parameters. Both the multi-mappers as well as the thresholds for the number of mismatches, quality and quantity were the reason, that a lot of the reads were unaccounted for.
        After changing the parameters a few time (even with multi-mappers up to 50 just for the fun of it), I was able to see, that the reads are there, but apparently were discarded due to specific parameters.

Assa

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses