Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subset trinity transcripts to remove contamination

I have a set of trinity-assembled transcripts that are supposed to be eukaryotic, but it appears that bacterial contamination was an issue during the experiment. However, I'd still like to make the most of this data, so I ran blastx with the transcripts and made a subset of only those that had a eukaryote as a top hit.

So now I have a fasta file with a subset of trinity-assembled transcripts and I am trying to figure out how to use this to eventually look for differential expression. I am new to trinity and am wondering: Is it useful to align the original rna-seq reads to this subset? Will I have issues because the reads from the contaminant (hopefully) will not align to any transcripts in this subset?

(the mapping I'm referring to is outlines in the following: https://github.com/trinityrnaseq/tri...inity-Assembly)

Thanks!

I would generally recommend determining what the bacterial contaminants are, mapping the reads to the whole genomes of the contaminant bacteria, then using the unmapped reads only for assembly and expression analysis.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses