Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xi Wang View Post
    You can use the script below (name it qseq2fastq.pl and replace the former one):

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
    use strict;

while (<>) {
    	chomp;
    	my @parts = split /\t/;
    	print "@","$parts[0]:$parts[2]:$parts[3]:$parts[4]:$parts[5]#$parts[6]/$parts[7]\n";
    	print "$parts[8]\n";
    	print "+","$parts[0]:$parts[2]:$parts[3]:$parts[4]:$parts[5]#$parts[6]/$parts[7]\n";
    	print "$parts[9]\n";
    }
    Greetings Xi Wang,

I have tried to use this script to convert from minimal fastq format to one in which the read name is listed before the base qualities. Here is my command line:

$ perl qseq2fastq.pl sequence.fastq > test.fastq

However at each attempt, I get an empty output file and the "use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string" message in the terminal. Please excuse my ignorance as I have only very limited knowledge of perl scripts. I would appreciate it very much if you could explain what I am doing wrong and give me step-by-step instructions on how to run this script.

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by labrat73 View Post
      Greetings Xi Wang,

I have tried to use this script to convert from minimal fastq format to one in which the read name is listed before the base qualities. Here is my command line:

$ perl qseq2fastq.pl sequence.fastq > test.fastq

However at each attempt, I get an empty output file and the "use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string" message in the terminal. Please excuse my ignorance as I have only very limited knowledge of perl scripts. I would appreciate it very much if you could explain what I am doing wrong and give me step-by-step instructions on how to run this script.

Many thanks!
      You try to convert fastq to fastq; that's not the intention of the script. The above script converts qseq format to fastq.

Comment

Originally posted by sklages View Post
        You try to convert fastq to fastq; that's not the intention of the script. The above script converts qseq format to fastq.
        sklages-

thanks so much for your reply. i'm a bit confused because my file has the fastq extension and it looks like this:

@SRR101483.1 SCS_0014:6:1:1063:16736/1
        GCGTAGGCTCTATCCCTAGAATGCAAAGGTGGTTCAACATACACAGATCAATAAATGTGATTCAC
        +
        DDDBDCC=D-5AA<B--CAAC5?A5@CC-=AA>>5CC:5=?:A5AC:C?D:C:>5?==@A@

when i try to run it, though, i keep getting an error. i compared it to other files that i've run and that's when i noticed that in other files, the title name appears again after the "+", immediately before the base qualities. i'm trying to convert or edit this file so that it looks like this:

@SRR101483.1 SCS_0014:6:1:1063:16736/1
        GCGTAGGCTCTATCCCTAGAATGCAAAGGTGGTTCAACATACACAGATCAATAAATGTGATTCAC
        +SRR101483.1 SCS_0014:6:1:1063:16736/1
        DDDBDCC=D-5AA<B--CAAC5?A5@CC-=AA>>5CC:5=?:A5AC:C?D:C:>5?==@A@

i hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice you could offer.

best-

labrat73

Comment

Use [ code ] and [ /code ] tags to prevent the forum messing up the display of examples.

Your files is already FASTQ format - without the redundant optional repeated identifier on the plus lines. You don't need to make that change.

As sklages said earlier, the script this thread is about converting from the Illumina qseq format into FASTQ.

Comment

fastq validator

has anyone tried using this to test?

I have a very similar problem here where my .txt is in this format
            where there is no line break after the '+'... however this is still in fastq format because the '+' line is optional... however some people here were still getting errors in the format i have posted below

has anyone used http://genome.sph.umich.edu/wiki/FastQValidator ?

@HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1391:1882#0/1
            NATAGTGCTTTAGCATCATATCTAAGGCTGTTCGTCCTACATTGTTGAGGAAACAACTATGACCTCCCTTGGGTCGGTTGCTATGCAA AGCAATGCTAACA
            +HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1391:1882#0/1
            BUXRMZ[Z[[cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc\cccccccccc_cccUYcccccccaccUYccccc_ccc__a\cac\_V __^X^^^\^^[^\
            @HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1493:1886#0/1
            NTAGATAATGATGCCACTGTTACAACTCTGTGCTTTGGGGTACCTAACAAGTCTCCCTCAGTGCCTCTCTGATTTGTAGCTAGTCAAT AGAATGAATAAAG
            +HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1493:1886#0/1
            BUXYX[[Z[[cccccc_cccccccc_ccccccccccc\ccZ____ccc_ccccccccccc[____ccccc_[cc_c_ccc_c_c_cc_ \_BBBBBBBBBBB

Comment

Originally posted by arcolombo698 View Post
              has anyone tried using this to test?

I have a very similar problem here where my .txt is in this format
              where there is no line break after the '+'... however this is still in fastq format because the '+' line is optional... however some people here were still getting errors in the format i have posted below

has anyone used http://genome.sph.umich.edu/wiki/FastQValidator ?

@HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1391:1882#0/1
              NATAGTGCTTTAGCATCATATCTAAGGCTGTTCGTCCTACATTGTTGAGGAAACAACTATGACCTCCCTTGGGTCGGTTGCTATGCAA AGCAATGCTAACA
              +HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1391:1882#0/1
              BUXRMZ[Z[[cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc\cccccccccc_cccUYcccccccaccUYccccc_ccc__a\cac\_V __^X^^^\^^[^\
              @HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1493:1886#0/1
              NTAGATAATGATGCCACTGTTACAACTCTGTGCTTTGGGGTACCTAACAAGTCTCCCTCAGTGCCTCTCTGATTTGTAGCTAGTCAAT AGAATGAATAAAG
              +HWI-ST604_0134:4:1101:1493:1886#0/1
              BUXYX[[Z[[cccccc_cccccccc_ccccccccccc\ccZ____ccc_ccccccccccc[____ccccc_[cc_c_ccc_c_c_cc_ \_BBBBBBBBBBB
              I don't get it. There is a "linebreak" (newline) after your '+' line. So this is normal fastq format.

Btw, the '+' line is *not* optional, its content is! There must always be at least the '+' sign as header for the quality line. But it is optional to write any information after that (in the same line).

Comment

The problem I see is that bases and qualities both have a spaces in them, but otherwise it looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                  The problem I see is that bases and qualities both have a spaces in them, but otherwise it looks fine.
                  You're right, maybe a copy&paste issue ..?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses