No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduced emPCR yields

Hi all
    Since the turn of the year we've seen a decline in the yields we're getting from emPCR. Generally we run amplicon Lib-L runs with a very tight amplicon size. The final product is around 480bp +/- 10bp, so we usually estimate concentration based on Qubit and go in with 0.5cpb. Last year, we were getting consistent results of 9-11% enrichment, but recently we've seen that halve, with some runs barely attaining the 2m beads required for the run.
    For our last run, we upped the amount of library to 0.8cpb, but we only have a 4.5% enrichment. Has anyone seen anything similar? I can't see anything has changed in our workflow between now and last year.
    Cheers
    Tony

Hi Tony,

I have seen similar things recently where my SV titration looked normal, but my LV &/or MV rxns had extremely low yields that did not correspond to the titration cpb inputs. I can get the lot numbers and post them to see if it is something w/ the emPCR kits perhaps.

Comment

We found our problem. Our NaOH was degrading rapidly. Apparently, you store it in plastic, NEVER IN GLASS, in the dark. We've had ours sat in a glass bottle on the shelf in sunlight. Who knew?
      A repeated emPCR gave ~13% yield where previously we were getting 4-5%.

Comment

We were having this problem end of last year. It started when we begun using a new lot of emPCR reagent. I had long discussions with Roche about it. Problem ended when we started using another lot of reagents.

Comment

Ha, my thesis advisor used to go on about storing NaOH in plastic. I picked up the habit, but never heard of it making a difference before.

It will also pick up CO2 from the air if you open the solution too much.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses