No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using SNP/Indel Callers with 454

Guys,

Sorry for the mundane question but after nearly exclusively using Illumina data and tools like DINDEL (developed for Illumina data), I find myself needing to call variants in 454 reads. I am well aware of the homopolymer problem for 454 but I wanted to ask generally how GATK UnifiedGenotyper and other variant callers work with 454 data. I have a sample sequenced with GAII and 454 and I want to call mutations in both and use the 454 data to validate the GAII data. But I don't want to bias the analysis if tools like GATK do not work correctly with 454.

Anyways I apologize for the lengthy question. Any insights would be appreciated.

We found the alignment to be quite difficult, as Newbler doesn't produce SAM format.

We tried a number of aligners, but ended up using ClcGenomics workbench for convenience.

SNP calling works fine with Samtools, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with GATK. Homopolymers haven't proved to be a major problem after reference alignment.

Comment

We sequenced the same sample with GAII and 454. We mapped both samples back to a reference and now I want to call SNPs/Indels. I want to use 454 to validate calls from the Illumina data. My question is whether you can use the same variant callers for Illumina and 454. I know at least some are optimized for Illumina and so I do not know if it is appropriate to use with 454.

Comment

I've used Cortex (see http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ng.1028 and/or cortexassembler.sourceforge.net) on both Illumina and 454 data with good results. The only thing I might do differently with 454 is use the homopolymer cutoff option (break a read at a homopolymer).

If you try it, you will need to start again with fastq rather than going from your mapping though I'm afraid.

best

Zam

Comment

We haven't had any problems (if you leave aside BAQ) comparing Samtools SNP calls from Illumina and 454 data after reference alignment. I am not sure if samtools is optimised only for Illumina, but I doubt it.

We are happy with results so far, and some have been wet lab validated.

Comment

I don't know if it would be helpful, but there is a Genotype caller I wrote for my Lab's use that has been tested on Illumina, 454, SOLiD and Sanger. It requires a samtools pileup as input, but is fully Bayesian and doesn't bias towards the reference. If its helpful, have a look at http://compgen.bscb.cornell.edu/GPhoCS/BSNP/
            -- Brad

Comment

Originally posted by bgulko View Post
              I don't know if it would be helpful, but there is a Genotype caller I wrote for my Lab's use that has been tested on Illumina, 454, SOLiD and Sanger. It requires a samtools pileup as input, but is fully Bayesian and doesn't bias towards the reference. If its helpful, have a look at http://compgen.bscb.cornell.edu/GPhoCS/BSNP/
              -- Brad
              Thanks Brad. This looks interesting. We will try it out. Have you done something similar for indels?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses