SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lots of unmapped reads - SOLiD bacterial RNA-seq and bowtie mapping Jean RNA Sequencing 10 01-17-2013 11:11 AM
Lasergene 10.1 Webinar - Automated bacterial genome closure, RNA-Seq, and more! DNASTAR Vendor Forum 0 09-21-2012 11:38 AM
questions about metatranscriptom mapping to draft genome? jojohan Illumina/Solexa 0 09-05-2012 03:02 AM
Mapping to transcripts rather than to the genome in RNA Seq jhbadger RNA Sequencing 2 07-21-2012 08:03 AM
Mapping to SOLiD reads to draft genome saha SOLiD 1 04-16-2010 07:17 AM

Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
ugolino

Post bacterial RNA-seq mapping to draft genome

Hi there,

I have DNA and RNA-seq data from pathogenic E. coli, on Illumina GA-IIx, 68 bp PE reads. There is no complete genome for the strains I used. Although several genomes from closely related strains have been closed, they vary in phage content. I am wondering if there is an assembler that will allow mapping of RNA-seq reads to a draft genome?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I have not found a thread.

Many thanks for your insight!
ugolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugolino View Post
Hi there,

I have DNA and RNA-seq data from pathogenic E. coli, on Illumina GA-IIx, 68 bp PE reads. There is no complete genome for the strains I used. Although several genomes from closely related strains have been closed, they vary in phage content. I am wondering if there is an assembler that will allow mapping of RNA-seq reads to a draft genome?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I have not found a thread.

Many thanks for your insight!
Bacteria have virtually no introns. You can map RNA reads to a reference genome just like you would a DNA experiment.

Also, your nomenclature is a little confusing. People in Next Gen usually mean "assemble" to mean de novo, with reads only, no reference genome. "Mapping" is when you use a reference genome.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
ugolino

Thanks for the reply!

Perhaps I did not explain well. The strain that I'm using has a phage that is not present in the complete genomes of closely related strains. Hence mapping to those complete genomes will not work. I have assembled de novo a draft genome of that strain and would like to know if I there is a short read aligner that can map the RNA reads to those de novo assembled contigs.
ugolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugolino View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Perhaps I did not explain well. The strain that I'm using has a phage that is not present in the complete genomes of closely related strains. Hence mapping to those complete genomes will not work. I have assembled de novo a draft genome of that strain and would like to know if I there is a short read aligner that can map the RNA reads to those de novo assembled contigs.
Any short read aligner will align to whatever reference you give it. Some will crash if any contig is shorter than your reads, so you might want to filter those out.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
a3047886

Default Draft genome alignment with NGS reads

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbarnes2 View Post
Any short read aligner will align to whatever reference you give it. Some will crash if any contig is shorter than your reads, so you might want to filter those out.
Hi there,

I am hoping to use Hiseq to do mRNA sequencing for an organism that has only a draft genome at the moment. Just to confirm from your previous post, if I use Galaxy to upload my NGS reads and then try to align these to the draft genome, this should work ok (being sure to filter any short contigs)?

Many thanks for your help.
a3047886 is offline   Reply With Quote