No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illumina sequencing

Hello friends,

I want to know the illumina sequencing method.
    in DNA there are two strands (double helix) and illumina generates two F1.fq file and F2.fq.
    Do F1.fq means sequencing of the first strand of DNA and the second is the sequencing of the second strand (the complement of the first)?
    thank you for your explanations
    Last edited by mido1951; 10-19-2015, 04:56 PM.

Yes. See this simplified video for an explanation.

Watch the Updated Video: https://youtu.be/fCd6B5HRaZ8This video provides an overview of the DNA sequencing workflow on an Illumina sequencer. The process inc...

Comment

Genomax thank you.
      I understood the video but there are things that are not clear because I'm not biologist.
      i have two files from illumina sequencing.
      for example:
      my first sequence in F1.fq is: AACCTGTCTCACGACGG...
      and the second in F2.fq is: AAGCGGAGCTGGNNTT....
      I know "Is a basic ambiguous but it is the complement of F1.fq?
      from what I see is not the complement

another question please:
      if F1.fq is the first Strand of DNA and the F2.fq its complement.
      in the assembly tools, why we use two files to assemble (F1.fq and F2.fq)? when you can use one file
      I'm no expert but just a question.
      thankyou
      Last edited by mido1951; 10-19-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

You are sequencing fragment(s) from the two ends.

F1 (or R1) samples the first X bp from the first strand (depending on number of cycles used). F2 (or R2) samples the first X bp from the complementary strand on the same fragment. So F1/R1 and F2/R2 are not necessarily complementary over their entire length (as long as the fragment being sequenced is > length of read).

With longer read lengths (2 x 300 bp) it is possible to have some overlap in the middle. In this case the two reads (R1/R2) can be stitched together to create an artificial longer read (BBMerge/FLASH are programs that do this merging). Part that overlaps in the middle is used to create a consensus.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses