SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opposite directions in homologous proteins de_ma Bioinformatics 3 09-08-2014 12:40 AM
Do paired end reads come from opposite strands or the same one? AmitL Bioinformatics 13 05-19-2014 03:17 AM
Tophat discovers junctions at same coordinates on opposite strands Julien Roux RNA Sequencing 1 09-02-2013 01:26 PM
in situ hybr. of lncRNA - stains both sense and antisense JonB RNA Sequencing 0 08-30-2013 04:08 AM
Viewing sense and antisense alignment separately uqdbarr1 Bioinformatics 0 06-07-2010 08:17 PM

Old 01-02-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
fabbaszadeh

Default Transcription of both sense and antisense strands in opposite directions

Dear All. Could someone please check if my understanding of transcription from both sense and antisense strands of DNA are correct. I am also confused about transcription of genes that exist in the opposite directions.

1- Both sense (5-3) and antisense (3-5) strands of DNA can be transcribed (such as Xist and Tsix transcription; see attached file). However as transcription progresses from 5->3 direction, I do not know how sense strand can be transcribed as I think the transcription on this strand would be from 3->5?
2- Do genes that can produce both sense and antisense transcripts contain promoters on both strands in the opposite directions of each other? If this is true I think transcription on both strands do not occur simultaneously as polymerases will collide. Probably transcription on different strands will occur under different conditions in the presence of different transcription factors.
3- For a gene that is located in the opposite direction in the DNA (such as BRCA1), on which strand of DNA does the transcription occur? If it occurs on the antisense strand does that mean that the DNA denatures so mush so that promoter at the end of the gene is exposed to transcription machinery on the antisense strand?

Thank you very much for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XIST and TSIX transcripts.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
fabbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote