Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to extract paired-end reads from .sff 454?

I have a Titanium paired end .sff and want to convert it to fasta and qual files. But I want the paired end linker removed and the reads containing them split into "right" and "left" side reads. (Best if the distal part of the paired end would also be reverse complemented)

Just want to try some other assembly engines. Small bacterial genome using 3kb paired end Titanium protocol.

Best way to do this? I can write a script to parse the trim info file, but that is work. Would prefer something like an sffinfo option or a program someone else has already written.

--
    Phillip

According to its documentation sff_extract (http://bioinf.comav.upv.es/sff_extract/index.html) can do this. I have used sff_extract but not on paired end data so I can't offer any first hand information.

Comment

Hi everyone

I just started to work with next generation sequencing data . I have following query : If you can provide me help to handle this kind of simulation and reassembling problems. How to generate reads from sequence. i have fasta file. I think we can go for maq toll for simulation. Nut not be able to work out.

To establish simulation of reassembling sequence from NGS data. This will build from re-assembling a simple sequence of 1 Mb with no repeats in the haploid state, to inclusion of genetic variation and polyploidy.
      -simulate a NGS run from a 1 Mb segment of human with little/no repeats. Average fragment size 500 bp with normal distribution. Paired end with 75 bp reads. Assume perfect sequencing. Check out other simulation methods
      - align the reads back to the 1 Mb sequence. How much variation in coverage
      - reassemble the reads WITHOUT using the reference sequence.

Thanks

Comment

I have had good luck with sff_extract. All you need is the linker sequence, insert length and insert length standard deviation. Then you run:

sff_extract -l linker.fasta yoursff.sff -i "insert_size:XXXX, insert_stdev:XXX" -o prefix

-Jason

Comment

This can be done with 454 software too, although there are bound to be differences in the result based on the specifics of the linker-recognition algorithms.

runAssembly -tr -noa -no myfile.sff

It's not the friendliest of output in that it generates an assembly directory and a few extra files that are unneeded for this use case, but it gets the job done. I've done this with version 2.3, I don't know about earlier versions.

Comment

Originally posted by maven View Post
            This can be done with 454 software too, although there are bound to be differences in the result based on the specifics of the linker-recognition algorithms.

runAssembly -tr -noa -no myfile.sff

It's not the friendliest of output in that it generates an assembly directory and a few extra files that are unneeded for this use case, but it gets the job done. I've done this with version 2.3, I don't know about earlier versions.
            That looks like just what I want. Alas:

runAssembly -tr -noa -no GB71BC401.sff

gives me:

Error: Invalid option: -noa.
            Usage: runAssembly [-o projdir] [-nrm] [-p (sfffile | [regionlist:]analysisDir)]... (sfffile | [regionlist:]analysisDir)...

I am running v. 2.3

--
            Phillip

Comment

The closest option to '-noa' is '-noace' which skips the output of ACE files, etc.

Comment

-noa is supposed to tell it to not actually bother doing the assembly itself. The -no option turns off most output generation, since the goal here is to just generate the split fasta (and qual) file. Both options are .... optional ... in the sense that once it gets past the first stage of the assembly you can manually kill it if you don't want to sit around waiting for an assembly to complete. The fasta file should still be there, as it's generated prior to actually starting the assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by maven View Post
                  -noa is supposed to tell it to not actually bother doing the assembly itself. The -no option turns off most output generation, since the goal here is to just generate the split fasta (and qual) file. Both options are .... optional ... in the sense that once it gets past the first stage of the assembly you can manually kill it if you don't want to sit around waiting for an assembly to complete. The fasta file should still be there, as it's generated prior to actually starting the assembly.
                  Alright! Leaving out the -noa worked. It did create a new assembly directory and do the assembly, but that didn't take long.

Thanks!
                  --
                  Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                    by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                    02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                  0 responses