Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwa and nanopore reads

Has anyone used bwa (0.7.12) with the mem -x ont2d option on nanopore 2D reads? FAQ's in bwa doc says "BWM-MEM works with Oxford Nanopore reads with a sequencing error rate over 20%.
    I've been able to create a .sam file with about 40,000 2d reads aligned to a single chromosome .fa file, but then have had issues seeing my data.

It works fine for me. What's your problem?

For extracting mapped reads, you can use samtools (to find mapped reads only) and awk:

Code:
    samtools view -F 4 input.bam | grep -v '^@' awk '{print "@"$1"\n"$10"\n+\n"$11}' > mapped.fastq

Comment

sorry I am new at this. thanks for your help.
      here is what I have done:
      I used bwa to index my reference
      ./bwa index /home/nanopore/chr6.fa

then I used bwa to align my files into a sam file (all 2d fastq files were cat together into one file)

./bwa mem -x ont2d /home/nanopore/chr6.fa /home/nanopore/MAP006_10122015.fastq > /home/nanopore/aln.sam

I then used samtools to convert the sam file to a bam file:

./samtools view -bs aln.sam > aln.bam

and finally sorted the bam file:

./samtools sort aln.bam aln_sort

So the problem I am having is the sam file seems to be readable (at least in a text editor I can see the sequence info along with a header and some alphanumeric codes before each sequence, but the bam files are all symbols)

If I try to view the bam file in GenomeBrowse I get an error "Data for this zoom level is unavailable until background computation is complete.

Am I doing something wrong, or missing a step?

Comment

BAM format is a binary representation so it is not surprising that you can no longer "see" the contents of that file. That part should be ok. You workflow is also proper.

I suggest that you use IGV to view the data instead of Genomebrowse. Follow the user guide here since you are new to IGV.

Comment

Or Tablet.

Comment

Thank you!

My problem was with either my sorting or indexing. Once I used the tools in IGV to sort and index my sam file I can now view my data.

Tablet looks good too! Thanks for the link.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses