No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bwa index -a bwtsw /data/Bioinfo/genomes/hg18.fa

Here is the error:

[bwa_index] Pack FASTA... [bns_fasta2bntseq] fail to open file '/data/Bioinfo/genomes/hg18.fa.pac'. Abort!
    Aborted
    I met the same problem while building hg18 index,aborted!However,while coping with single chromosome it worked well.Does this mean insufficient memory?The total memory of the machine is 4GB.The manual says to build hg18 with command bwtsw requires only 2.5GB,then what's wrong with it?
    Any help is appreciated!

Comment

Hello,
      Im having an index error as well. I am trying to index human genome build 37. I am using a Mac OS 10.5.8, 64 bit, 8GB of RAM and 280GB of space.
      When I run the command:
      bwa index -a bwtsw -p human_g1k_v37 human_g1k_v37.fasta

BWA starts indexing the genome but stops and provides an error message (error code=12)

BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 630 iterations done. 1740074246 characters processed.
      [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 640 iterations done. 1778041526 characters processed.
      [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 650 iterations done. 1811782918 characters processed.
      [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 660 iterations done. 1841768294 characters processed.
      [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 670 iterations done. 1868415350 characters processed.
      [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 680 iterations done. 1892095270 characters processed.
      [bwt_gen] Finished constructing BWT in 688 iterations.
      [bwa_index] 2010.81 seconds elapse.
      [bwa_index] Update BWT... bwa(3627) malloc: *** mmap(size=3101806592) failed (error code=12)
      *** error: can't allocate region
      *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
      Bus error

Any Help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

So this seems to be the place for bwa errors, so ill just add mine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded the human genome hg19, and was going to index it, started like this:
        VirtualBox[bwa-0.7.5a] ./bwa index -a bwtsw ../hum_genome/hum_genome19.fa
        [bwa_index] Pack FASTA...
        28.35 sec
        [bwa_index] Construct BWT for the packed sequence...
        [BWTIncCreate] textLength=6191387966, availableWord=447648912
        [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 10 iterations done. 99999998 characters processed.
        [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 20 iterations done. 199999998 characters processed.
        [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 30 iterations done. 299999998 characters processed.
        but at the end i get this
        [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 680 iterations done. 6177547390 characters processed.
        [bwt_gen] Finished constructing BWT in 687 iterations.
        [bwa_index] 2953.98 seconds elapse.
        [bwa_index] Update BWT... [bwt_bwtupdate_core] Failed to allocate 3095694032 bytes at bwtindex.c line 135: Cannot allocate memory

any suggestions???
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by weirdkid View Post
          So this seems to be the place for bwa errors, so ill just add mine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded the human genome hg19, and was going to index it, started like this:
          VirtualBox[bwa-0.7.5a] ./bwa index -a bwtsw ../hum_genome/hum_genome19.fa
          [bwa_index] Pack FASTA...
          28.35 sec
          [bwa_index] Construct BWT for the packed sequence...
          [BWTIncCreate] textLength=6191387966, availableWord=447648912
          [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 10 iterations done. 99999998 characters processed.
          [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 20 iterations done. 199999998 characters processed.
          [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 30 iterations done. 299999998 characters processed.
          but at the end i get this
          [BWTIncConstructFromPacked] 680 iterations done. 6177547390 characters processed.
          [bwt_gen] Finished constructing BWT in 687 iterations.
          [bwa_index] 2953.98 seconds elapse.
          [bwa_index] Update BWT... [bwt_bwtupdate_core] Failed to allocate 3095694032 bytes at bwtindex.c line 135: Cannot allocate memory

any suggestions???
          thanks
          How much RAM have you currently allocated to this virtual server? Is your virtual server using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

Comment

I figured it out, just had to make more RAM for the vm, it was 4gb which i thought would be enough, but it worked when i make it just over 5gb.
            thanks anyway

Comment

bwa index

BWA users- I get less than 8 output files when using BWA to index the reference genome- any explanation, please and would this affect BWA alignment?

bwa index reference.fna

Comment

Originally posted by mmmm View Post
                BWA users- I get less than 8 output files when using BWA to index the reference genome- any explanation, please and would this affect BWA alignment?

bwa index reference.fna
                Please post additional information about what OS (32/64-bit) you are using (virtual or real), amount of memory you have. Are there any error messages? I assume "reference.fna" is a multi-fasta file? Which files are you seeing (extensions)?

Comment

the reference.fna is not a multi-fasta files. it is the complete bacterial genome.
                  I can see (.amb, .ann, .bwt, .pac, .sa) but can not see (.rpac, .rsa, .rbwt)

I have more than enough space on the server. there is no error message?

Comment

That looks right.

As of bwa version 0.6.x the forward and reverse indexes were merged, eliminating the .rxxx files.

Comment

grateful thanks for clarification. Now, I am trying to detect the gene coverage cin the mapped reads compared to the reference genome using

bedtools
                      coverageBed -abam alignment.bam -b gff > coverage.txt

(but I have found that no genes have been mapped at all to the reference genome when opened the coverage.txt in a libreoffice)?

Comment

See the notes for "genomecov": http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l...genomecov.html

Have you sorted your bam file?

Comment

I did sort the bam file- should this be ok?

bedtools
                          coverageBed -abam sortedbam -b gff > coverage.txt

Comment

Originally posted by mmmm View Post
                            I did sort the bam file- should this be ok?

bedtools
                            coverageBed -abam sortedbam -b gff > coverage.txt
                            That should be ok. Are you not seeing anything in the coverage.txt file?

Do you want to try "multicov" along with a BED format file for the genes? http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../multicov.html

Comment

the coverage.txt file contains genes annotations (gff) but none of my aligned reads are covered by these annotated genes; I get (0) in the last column of the coverage.txt file for all genes

Comment

The "gff" in your command line above is the actual GFF format file for the annotations, correct (here if the format reference for GFF3: http://www.sequenceontology.org/gff3.shtml And the file actually matches the original genome used for alignment?

Have you checked your aligned bam file (using IGV for example) to make sure that the alignments look good?
                                Last edited by GenoMax; 12-04-2013, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses