Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA seq: handling samples after re-sequencing

I set up an RNA seq experiment with 4 samples and 4 bioreplicates each. I now have a total of 16 fastq files. However, of these, 8 are going to be resequenced because number of reads were too low (though still usable). I was told that it was technical issue related to quantifying the library at the sequencing facility. When I get the new set of 8 files, how should I handle them:

1. As a completely separate technical replicate? (The same library will be used for re-sequencing)
    2. Merge the BAM files together? (e.g., BR1a.BAM + BR1b.BAM)....concatenate BAMs or merge the raw reads together? (e.g.., BR1a.fastq + BR1b.fastq) concatenate fastqs?

Which of the above will give me greater statistical power. How will I make better use of the fact that I will have resequenced the same library deeper?

Thanks
    Siva

It depends what your intention for the experiment is surely? If you need extra depth you could just combine the Fastq and align.

If you're just interested in differential expression then this paper might convince you to use them as biological replicates:

High-throughput sequencing of RNA transcripts (RNA-seq) has become the method of choice for detection of differential expression (DE). Concurrent with the growing popularity of this technology there has been a significant research effort devoted towards understanding the statistical properties of this data and the development of analysis methods. We report on a comprehensive evaluation of the commonly used DE methods using the SEQC benchmark data set. We evaluate a number of key features including: assessment of normalization, accuracy of DE detection, modeling of genes expressed in only one condition, and the impact of sequencing depth and number of replications on identifying DE genes. We find significant differences among the methods with no single method consistently outperforming the others. Furthermore, the performance of array-based approach is comparable to methods customized for RNA-seq data. Perhaps most importantly, our results demonstrate that increasing the number of replicate samples provides significantly more detection power than increased sequencing depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukowski View Post
      It depends what your intention for the experiment is surely? If you need extra depth you could just combine the Fastq and align.

If you're just interested in differential expression then this paper might convince you to use them as biological replicates:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.5277
      My immediate aim to find differentially expressed genes. However I am also interested in more depth. Will be useful in analyzing novel genes.

I will go through this paper. However, I was under the impression that treating them as a bioreps might actually lead to higher occurrence of type 1 error in differential expression analysis.

Thanks much
      Siva

Comment

If they are from the same libraries then they are not biological replicates and should not be treated as such.

In cases where you multiplex samples and spread them across different flow cells or runs, you can simply combine them as lane effects will apply to all the samples. To see a detailed description of this, read the paper by Auer and Doerge: http://www.genetics.org/content/185/2/405.abstract

However, since you will only be doing further sequencing on 8 of the samples, this is a far more complicated design. I would say if you want to keep all the data, then you should use the multifactorial capabilities of tools like DESeq or EdgeR to account for this.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses