Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
    Illumina's current indexing strategy (up to 384 samples for Nextera) can be used on NovaSeq but using current TruSeq adapters only 8 unique combinations of index 1 and 2 is possible which is not enough for lots of applications.
    It only works for applications that are not sensitive to crosstalk. Personally, I would never multiplex samples of the same genus on a NovaSeq unless all libraries had dual unique barcodes. The current system of unique pairs, in which multiple libraries share the same first barcode and multiple libraries share the same second barcode, and any pair of first and second barcodes lands a read in a specific library, is insufficient for NovaSeq. To be honest, it was insufficient for the HiSeq 2500 as well, in situations where low-frequency variants were important (or for multiplexed single-cell sequencing). But it's more insufficient now, where multiplexing is desired on a NovaSeq, due to the substantially increased crosstalk rate.
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 10-10-2017, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I agree Brian. It will be even worse if they release S4 flow cells without individual lane loading device/fix which currently is in beta testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Markiyan View Post
        In that case we need to have first 4-5 bases as a random sequence (for clusters ID), followed by the barcode (another 4-8 bases), than the insert...

This is really important for RNAseq & CHIPseq applications, where we want to keep the cross-talk bellow 10^-6...
        Classical dual unique indexing would get us into 10^-4 - 10^-5 range.

BTW: Actually the spatial signal separation from the patterned flowcell clusters should resemble more the 454 signal, and the clusters should be much more easier to call, even if low diversity at the first few bases.
        Adding 4-5 diversity base is possible but two points to consider:
        1- it will be difficult to obtain good oligo annealing to form adapters and also there will unpaired oligos which would require further purification
        2- Illumina is unlikely to change their established indexing strategy and also there might be some patents on inline barcoding

Unique duel indexing (every library with different index 1 and 2) should enable identification and filtering of any fragments resulting from index hopping.

Actually in patterned flow cells position of each nano-well which would have clusters is already known. I have not thought about the need for sequence diversity but it could be related to background signal.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
          Thanks. IDT has not released their UDI adapters that they are co-developing with Illumina. NuGEN adapters are not sold as a stand alone product and I am not sure if their adapters are specific to their kits or if they can be used with other kits as well.
          You can buy the UDI 96 and/or the UDI 384 kit from IDT as a custom order. Just contact their sales. We bought the UDI 96. Made libraries (both no Amp DNA and RNAseq libraries) from them. Ran them on our NovaSeq.

The UDI 384 are 10 base indexes though. So you would have to reduce your sequence insert reads by 2 bases each to compensate...

NuGEN sales reps told me that their adapters don't use T/A tailing. So they wouldn't work with most other kits.

--
          Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
            It only works for applications that are not sensitive to crosstalk. Personally, I would never multiplex samples of the same genus on a NovaSeq unless all libraries had dual unique barcodes.
            Did you see much phiX index hopping? Searching the "undetermined" fastq for index hops involving one of i7/i5 GGGGGGGG/TCGTAGTG I tentatively identified a fair number. Of course they may just be the result of signal bleed.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by Markiyan View Post
              This is really important for RNAseq & CHIPseq applications, where we want to keep the cross-talk bellow 10^-6...
              How did you come up with that 10^-6 figure? In an RNASeq or CHIPseq experiment that's only about 20-30 reads.

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                Did you see much phiX index hopping? Searching the "undetermined" fastq for index hops involving one of i7/i5 GGGGGGGG/TCGTAGTG I tentatively identified a fair number. Of course they may just be the result of signal bleed.

--
                Phillip
                I have not looked into that yet. Actually, I don't even know if we are spiking PhiX into our Novaseq runs, but that rate is worth examining, after I find out whether there is actually any PhiX present.

Comment

I am not sure that index hopping onto PhiX reads would be a good measure. As far as I remember the Illumina PhiX adapter sequences are quite different from TruSeq or Nextera sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by luc View Post
                    I am not sure that index hopping onto PhiX reads would be a good measure. As far as I remember the Illumina PhiX adapter sequences are quite different from TruSeq or Nextera sequences.
                    Well, not as different as you might think. Please see the attachment.

--
                    Phillip
                    Attached Files

Comment

For those with NovaSeqs, are you allowed to say how much the consumables are? Based on what people are charging for a lane, it looks like about $40K per run...

Comment

I was told by an Illumina rep at Queenstown Research week about a month ago that NovaSeq run cost would be similar to HiSeq, but produce about double the output.

Comment

List price on S4 reagent kits is about $30K. For NovaSeq sites with ≥5 NovaSeq instruments, they're able to get a discount large enough to achieve the "20% cheaper than HiSeq X" statement Francis deSouza made when they announced this platform. Something tells me this is factoring in how many samples could be run per year on NovaSeq than HiSeq X due to the throughput and runtime, so their discount is likely not more than 20% off of list. Everyone else likely gets <10% discount. HiSeq 4000 (300 cycle) kits are about $17K list price, so they're not the same price but S4 will give you about 5x the output (in about half the time).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses