Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding 16s DNA Sequence in de novo assembled genome

From time to time I find I'm working with a bunch of de novo assemblies. I've been interested in doing some comparative genomics and perhaps making some group-specific 16s rRNA primers.

I'm just wondering if there is an accepted way of extracting 16s DNA from de novo assemblies that I'm just not finding.

I've used BLAST and other Local alignment programs using universal primers, but this doesn't strike me as very efficient and I'm sure I'm not the only one trying do something like this. Can anyone point me toward any papers or personal experience doing something like this.

Thanks!

You can use a tool like barrnap

HTML Code:
    http://www.vicbioinformatics.com/software.barrnap.shtml
    or RNAmmer
    HTML Code:
    http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/services/RNAmmer/
    to predict rRNA locations on your contig sequences.

Boetsie

Comment

Thanks

I will definitely check these out!

Comment

Blast the contigs against a 16S db?
        savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
          Blast the contigs against a 16S db?
          That is a very straightforward approach and I have done that in past. I was just wondering if there was something that could quickly extract the sequences without reinventing the wheel.

It looks like the barrnap program does a quick annotation and then I can use something like bedtools to extract the sequences using the produced GFF.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses