Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High number of read counts mapping to bacterial rRNA genes in RNA-Seq experiment

Hello to everyone.

In my group, we are using RNA-Seq to study the expression of bacteria under different conditions, isolated or as dual-transcriptome when in association with plants.

When checking the table of total counts for each gene, I can observe an important number of reads mapping against the rrna genes, mostly 16S and 23S. I also found a similar amount of read counts mapping against rrnas when analyzing a dual experiment where no bacteria was present, just plant material.

Illumina reads from HiSeq200 were treated by TopHat and Cufflinks. Library preparations followed a RiboZero Gold treatment + TruSeq Stranded Total RNA kit. Additionally, rrna depletion was verified by running Bioanalyzer.

Have any one an idea where this mapping might come?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ribodepletion is never perfect. Did you use the appropriate RiboZero kit? What's your trace look like?

Comment

Hello fanli,

Thanks for your message.
      To answer your question, yes the Ribozero kit used was appropriate for our samples. It was the Ribo-Zero Gold rRNA Removal Kit (Epidemiology). This kit removes cytoplasmic and mitochondrial rRNA from samples composed of human/mouse/rat, Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacterial RNA.

What do you mean by "your trace look like"?
      If you mean how the bioanalyzer graph look like, they look perfect, with no peaks for 16S or 23S, but small peak for 5S rRNA.

I was thinking these sequences matching the ribosomal genes could actually come from an artifact during library preparation (PCR enrichment) or sequencing (over sequencing) causing a high number of overrepresented sequenced (high sequence duplication).

Comment

I don't know that I'd call it so much an artifact as a consequence of random amplification. You could look at the read duplication levels for your rRNA-mapped reads to see if it's a single PCR jackpot versus high levels of template rRNA. But the end result would be the same - you'll just have to live with the fact that you throw away some of your sequencing data.

By the way, what fraction was ribosomal anyways? I'd say anything less than 10% is fine..

Comment

Depending on the setup, 20% might also be acceptable.

What we've seen in some of our experiments is that, although the traces don't show any big peaks, we got a half ton of eukaryotic rRNA (bacterial was depleted) afterwards. We hypothesize that the smaller peaks in the surrounding are probably degraded rRNA, which can't be properly depleted (even with the right kit, as it seems). So it might not necessarily be visible during the QC.

I'd not have an idea where your bacterial data could come from in your non-bacterial example, unless it's a contamination from elsewhere.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses