No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina Install Base

Hey Folks,
    I do market research for a small start-up and I was wondering if anyone knew an efficient way to find Illumina's unit sales, for each kind of sequencer (HiSeq & MiSeq).
    Illumina reports revenue quarterly and I can find pricing information online, the only issue is breaking down revenue across sequencer models. I've been combing through their earnings calls to find unit sale but there isn't much info there. They don’t share enough to get a sense of the break down of the instrument sales revenue due to various models, which is another way to back into it.
    Does anyone know a way to find out how many of each sequencer type Illumina has sold? Is there a list of customers available somewhere?
    Related question: does anyone have a figure of how many genomics research labs there are in the US and globally?

Thanks in advance,

James

Have you had a look at http://omicsmaps.com/ ?

Comment

I have looked. The issue is I want to watch their install base grow over time to see if there is a market penetration point after which their sales hit an inflection.

If omicsmaps had a way to look at snap shots or a time series of center updates I could use that, but there doesn't seem to be a way to access that other than manually copying over.

Comment

Any thoughts on the second question, # of sequencing facilities in US or perhaps globally?

omicsmaps suggests a number around 1K, but this doesn't account for centers that have not yet purchased a sequencer.

Comment

Originally posted by jbannonARK View Post
          Any thoughts on the second question, # of sequencing facilities in US or perhaps globally?
          What is your definition of a sequencing facility? Does a lab/dept with a single MiSeq/NextSeq qualify? You have your work cut out, if you need to get a realistic estimate.

Comment

GenoMax: Yes it does count, and yes my work IS cut out for me! That's why I turned here for some help.

Elsewhere I asked a question about what drives sequencing purchases: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...538#post160538

which gives a sense of my overall mission.

Even a list of the *kind* of facilities that purchase these machines (all kinds, from MiSeq to RSII) would be helpful.

Do you folks have some guidance here? Is it hospitals? Research labs only? both? private companies? All? None?

Thanks again.

Comment

You'll likely only be able to keep track of the service providers and university core labs who advertise that they have sequencing capabilities. As sequencers get cheaper a lot of smaller labs and stealth startups are purchasing machines for their research, so it's probably going to be very difficult to track those down.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses