Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungal Genome Assembly... a painful experience

Hi all and thanks for any insight you have in advance.

I am trying to assemble a fungal genome of approximately 42Mb in size. I have reads from an Ion Torrent run and some old data our lab had from a PacBio sequencing in fastq format.

I was wondering what would be a good assembly program to start attempting. I have heard that SPAdes is an option though the genome size is larger than bacteria. Falcon has also been suggested along with PBcR.

Any hints and help would be extremely appreciated.

Have you tried falcon as was suggested in a previous thread you had started? SPAdes is not going to work for this size genome.

BTW: How much PacBio data do you have and is it clean/long reads. If you don't have much/good data this is going to be a difficult task.

If you have a relatively close genome available then going the mapping route first may be useful. It will help you understand quality of your data.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Have you tried falcon as was suggested in a previous thread you had started? SPAdes is not going to work for this size genome.
      This is certainly not true.

Originally posted by nwfungi View Post
      Any hints and help would be extremely appreciated.
      I'd suggest to give SPAdes a try. If uncertain - just contact SPAdes support for some advices.

Comment

Originally posted by akorobeynikov View Post
        This is certainly not true.

I'd suggest to give SPAdes a try. If uncertain - just contact SPAdes support for some advices.
        Has something changed in recent past?

We have seen the recommendation that SPAdes was designed for "standard isolates and single-cell MDA bacteria assemblies". There is no data on SPAdes site that shows successful assemblies with genomes of larger size/multiple chromosomes.

Can you provide some guidance on the RAM requirements for a genome this size? (It would depend to some extent on how much data @nwfungi has)
        Last edited by GenoMax; 12-03-2015, 06:22 AM.

Comment

ABySS-PE seems to love assembling compact fungal genomes. That said we typically do PCR-free PE libraries + a cheap mate-pair library using only Illumina reads. N50>1 megabase and ~1000 scaffolds >1Kb total, is what I remember getting.

I haven't even seen an Ion Torrent data set, though, so I have no idea how that will work.

--
          Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post

BTW: How much PacBio data do you have and is it clean/long reads. If you don't have much/good data this is going to be a difficult task.
            The PacBio coverage isn't the only critical question here (although the OP would do well to answer it!), but they suggest they have FASTQ files for the PacBio reads. Not sure about Falcon, but pretty sure HGAP.3 requires bax/bas.h5 as assembly input.

Comment

Take a look to the Masurca assembler
              Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online.

Comment

Thanks for all the information and apologies for slow response time.

As for the PB data I have, it is in fastq format and we are in the process of trying to get the original files but this sequencing was done far enough in the past that it may not be possible. The quality is questionable and the coverage is low at best. I've only run FastQC on it to check it but nothing was flagged. We are having a more comprehensive PB sequencing effort done as we speak. I was more interested in seeing if the small amount of PB data I had could be used in the meantime to create a slightly more useful assembly and get a process hammered out.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses