No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disparity between cycle 1 and 2 thumbnails

Hi,

I thought I gotten a feeling from looking at live thumbnails during scan as to the average cluster density we would obtain, but our latest run has thrown me - density looked similar at cycle 1 to successful runs previous (HiScanSQ) but at cycle 2 the thumbnails show FAR fewer clusters than cycle 1 - if I were judging on C1 I would expect ~900k/mm2, on C2 I'd say less than 300k/mm2!!.

The clusters are nowhere near as bright as they were at C1 either. Anyone seen such a dramatic dropoff in density across cycles before? These are low diversity libraries (with 5% PhiX spike) but that shouldn't affect the live thumbnail, should it? It looks green no matter which base is added...

Matt

Originally posted by matth431 View Post
    Hi,

I thought I gotten a feeling from looking at live thumbnails during scan as to the average cluster density we would obtain, but our latest run has thrown me - density looked similar at cycle 1 to successful runs previous (HiScanSQ) but at cycle 2 the thumbnails show FAR fewer clusters than cycle 1 - if I were judging on C1 I would expect ~900k/mm2, on C2 I'd say less than 300k/mm2!!.

The clusters are nowhere near as bright as they were at C1 either. Anyone seen such a dramatic dropoff in density across cycles before? These are low diversity libraries (with 5% PhiX spike) but that shouldn't affect the live thumbnail, should it? It looks green no matter which base is added...

Matt
    Hey Matt,
    IIRC the HiScanSQ shows you the combined clusters for 2 of the bases at a time. Low diversity could definitely affect the apparent cluster density of a given scan.

You really just need to wait for after the 4th base to find out how things are going.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
      Hey Matt,
      IIRC the HiScanSQ shows you the combined clusters for 2 of the bases at a time. Low diversity could definitely affect the apparent cluster density of a given scan.

You really just need to wait for after the 4th base to find out how things are going.

--
      Phillip
      Thanks - on checking this morning, cycle 2 had an extremely high percentage of T accordingly to the intensity plot. The other nucleotides shot back up on cycles 3-4. I am a bit shocked as we are using 24 separate barcodes across the first 5 nucleotides, so these should have a fair amount of each nucleotide at position 2 - will have to see how that base gets called, I suppose. Cluster density is about smack in the middle of the two values I estimated - 600k/mm2. On the low side but then the reduced diversity tends to mean more severe dropoff in cluster PF (we usually lose ~20-30% at densities of 800k/mm2) so we may be trading lower raw clusters for more PF with this run.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses