Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time I exclusively used Linux, I ran an Ubuntu LTS 12.04 on a Dell laptop and had terrible overheating issues whenever I ran something computationally intensive, which kind of turned me away from Linux. It might have to do with the hardware not being totally optimized for the OS. Otherwise the freedom for a developer with Linux is really special.

Comment

I work on a linux box and love it, the problem is when it comes to grant/paper writing you really have to have a highly functional equivalent of word and adobe. While LibreOffice is a nice substitue for something, if it has to be perfect and highly sharable, it a total PITA.

This is why for a LAPTOP I would essepcially recommend somesort of VM solution with Ubuntu/Windows or just a Mac. If the poster was here asking about desktop/workstation/minicluster, I'd have different recommendations.

You aren't going to be doing your hardcore computational work on the laptop anyway, so all the advantages when it comes to linux for bioinformatics are lessened or completely disappear. On a laptop you're much more likely to be SSHed to a cluster/workstation for real work anyway (wether it has linux, OSX or windows), plus editing grants/papers/presentations. While I'd love linux distros to do those things better, and not have to rely on Microsoft/Adobe/Apple, its just the easiest way to get work done for those kinds of things. And that's the point. What gets work done the fastest?

Comment

Originally posted by vivek_ View Post
        The last time I exclusively used Linux, I ran an Ubuntu LTS 12.04 on a Dell laptop and had terrible overheating issues whenever I ran something computationally intensive, which kind of turned me away from Linux. It might have to do with the hardware not being totally optimized for the OS. Otherwise the freedom for a developer with Linux is really special.
        Sounds more hardware than software. Most laptops will get hot when the CPU is being heavily utilized. On my 15" MBP, I certainly wouldn't want it on my lap after its been pegging all its cores for 5 minutes or more. That doesn't mean its overheating though. Its just not comfortable to touch. in certain spots. Also, its loud as hell when all the fans hit 100%.

Comment

I know that Apple and Microsoft are big on "secure boot", but it may still be possible to dual boot (I'm not sure what current situation is). I keep and old laptop around that can dual boot so that 2 or 3 times a year I need commercial software or have a guest that wants to run a game, I just boot to Windows and pray I can upgrade faster than I can get infected.

Comment

You can dual boot Windows/Ubuntu very easily, but personally I'd rather just use a virtual machine because I often want to be in both at the same time. Its a bit of hack to get Macs to boot to anything other than OSX, but it is possible. I had a Mac Pro running Ubuntu for a while, but that is kinda silly since OSX can do almost everything Linux can.

Comment

What VM do you recommend?

Comment

VirtualBox seems to run Ubuntu fine. Plus its easy to set up and free. Its also possible to hack OSX on VirtualBox.

Comment

Has anyone here used a macbook air? I am really tempted to switch from my 15 inch macbook pro to a 13 inch air, move all my analysis to the server (which I really should do anyhow) and use a monitor with the air.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
                    Has anyone here used a macbook air? I am really tempted to switch from my 15 inch macbook pro to a 13 inch air, move all my analysis to the server (which I really should do anyhow) and use a monitor with the air.
                    I essentially did something similar, but with windows. I found it annoying at times when I didn't have the internet but needed to do some work that didn't require the power of a server - I couldn't do anything, granted that wasn't often. Now I use bio-linux7 (Ubuntu 12.04 plus a load of useful programs) and aren't as reliant on my cluster for every little thing. If you are addicted to MS office you can even install it on linux now using PlayOnLinux (it isn't perfect, but it is useful for times when someone gives you a .doc or .docx that LibreOffice doesn't open properly).

Comment

I have a 15" rMBP at work, but bought a 13" MBA (everything maxed out) for home. It's perfectly capable for lots of stuff by itself. However, in my experience the battery life isn't nearly as good as promised. I get maybe 7-8 hours of regular use.. which isn't bad but still..
                      savetherhino.org

Comment

If "regular" use includes video watching then the battery life is line with what rhinoceros is reporting. If one is only browsing/using terminal then the battery lasts significantly longer than 7-8 h. If this is not your only/main computer then you could easily go a week before needing a recharge.

I recommend the 13" MBA. I personally prefer the bigger screen to get work done since I no longer have young eyes. Either (13" or 11" MBA) travels well, if that is a consideration. New MBA's are powerful enough (core i5/7 CPU's, PCI-E SSD's) that you could do some analysis locally if you find yourself without network access.
                        Last edited by GenoMax; 09-10-2013, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                          If "regular" use includes video watching then the battery life is line with what rhinoceros is reporting. If one is only browsing/using terminal then the battery lasts significantly longer than 7-8 h. If this is not your only/main computer then you could easily go a week before needing a recharge.

I recommend the 13" MBA. I personally prefer the bigger screen to get work done since I no longer have young eyes. Either (13" or 11" MBA) travels well, if that is a consideration. New MBA's are powerful enough (core i5/7 CPU's, PCI-E SSD's) that you could do some analysis locally if you find yourself without network access.
                          That's what I am wondering. I am really trying to stop analysis on my laptops anyway, but I still like the flexibility it gives me to be able to do stuff if need too. Although at this point, probably the most intense stuff I will do on my laptop will be statistical analysis in R. If I do go for an air, it will be a 13 in maxed out. But that 2 inch downgrade in screen size compared to my 15 in pro is what bothers me. On the other hand, if I can connect to a monitor in the lab or at home, then thats kind of a moot point. I was hoping apple would release new macbook pros today, but that seems unlikely.

Comment

I use a Macbook Air 13" for most of the programming work I do when I'm not in the lab (I have powerful desktop workstations at the lab). I do a lot of analysis code development so I usually need to run some analysis as I go. I tend to keep the data sets small when working on the air. 99% of the time it feels very quick because of the SSD. That other 1% when I'm running analysis I can tell it lacks processing power. But I didn't get it for analysis so it actually works perfectly for me.
                            /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
                            Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses