Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error with Cufflinks, ran out of memory

My job ran out of all availabel memory when I used Cufflinks. My input file is the output from Tophat. Does anyone know how to split my input into smaller chunks or in some other way to reduce the the amount of memory my program allocates?

Did you ever fun out Whether you could do this?
    I have the Same problem and it would be a lot faster to run cufflinks on each chromosome independtly but I'm afraid of what that will do to my fpkm values.

Has anyone done this?

Comment

Hey y'all,

I am having a similar problem: cufflinks on a 10BG+ bam file leads to huge memory usage (and subsequent job stop). zorph, your idea of runnign cufflinks on each chromosome separately sounds good. I wouldn't worry about it messing up your fpkm because it is probably wise not to use fpkm to quantify expression. Instead, use a normalization scheme based on edgeR or DESeq methods. Both programs come up with library size estimates that are robust against a few differentially expressed genes unlike fpkm.
      So the flow would be:
      1. split cufflinks runs by chromosome
      2. use the output from cufflinks (transcripts.gtf) as your gene models, and then run an overlapping program (like bedops; http://code.google.com/p/bedops/) to get the RNA-seq counts for each gene
      3. normalize the counts using DESeq or edgeR
      4. do your statistical comparison (DESeq is good for this step, too; here is a really straight-forward vignette: http://bioconductor.org/packages/dev.../doc/DESeq.pdf)

cheers,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses