SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google maps update: 1442 instruments in 486 labs james hadfield General 4 04-23-2018 11:01 AM
Some quick questions about web browsers available to next-gen labs spire_mk Vendor Forum 0 10-17-2011 04:58 PM
bioinformatic question? semna Bioinformatics 2 11-04-2010 02:33 AM
Next Gen ISO 17025 Labs? LMcSeq General 0 03-31-2010 11:03 AM
ABI SOLiD Bioinformatic Services gendxdoc Bioinformatics 2 11-23-2009 04:41 AM

Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
BLous

Default Bioinformatic services for labs

Hi I was wondering if labs/facilities would require a external bioinformatics service OR do most labs/facilities already have bioinformaticians of their own?

Thanks
BLous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

I guess that'll depend on the lab and the task. I expect most smaller labs and those who aren't oriented toward sequencing/bioinformatics will require external help. Our sequencing providers usually offer at least some basic bioinformatic services, so that may be sufficient for most users.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
severin
Genome Informatics Facility

Default expensive

Unless you are a pretty large lab you are not likely going to have your own bioinformatician. I suspect smaller labs might hire a postdoc or grad student with the idea of having them analyze the data but there is a learning curve. Not to mention that there are so many positions for NGS analysts open right now that there is a shortage of good quality bioinformaticians. I suspect that many labs will go with a trusted core facility over risking hiring someone of unknown ability from a shrinking pool of qualified applicants.
severin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
rururara

Default Bioinformatic services for labs

It would be better if the lab have at least one Bioinformatician. Yeah, it could be sufficient that people can outsource to the company for bioinformatic services especially in NGS data analysis. But what if for simple task such as preparation a script for data conversion, developing a dataware house for biologist? Is that worth to outsource these kind of services to company? I don't think so. Plus your biologist might face everyday a new problem in data handling and data mining. So the best way is to have a bioinformatician closely in the lab with the biologist
rururara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

At our university we have a core facility for informatics...
adaptivegenome is offline   Reply With Quote