SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to align SOLiD data? Heisman SOLiD 11 01-29-2012 05:21 PM
Reads that can align to multiple places ashwatha Bioinformatics 2 09-21-2011 08:21 PM
Align multiple sequences in tabular or fasta format pchiang Bioinformatics 7 07-01-2011 11:18 PM
PubMed: TIARA: a database for accurate analysis of multiple personal genomes based on Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 04-29-2011 03:10 AM
using BWA to align SOLiD fastq files from 1000 Genomes tgenahmet Bioinformatics 1 10-15-2009 06:19 PM

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
C9r1y

Default Co-culture data to align to multiple genomes

Hello,

I am looking for a way to align Illumina data to two different bacterial genomes. I have been using bowtie, and thought at first to keep the genomes separate, but I also have created a merged fasta file. Once aligned, any idea of good analysis pipeline? This data is of 8 samples, some of which are from co-cultures of the two bacteria types. Thanks for any ideas.
C9r1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9r1y View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a way to align Illumina data to two different bacterial genomes. I have been using bowtie, and thought at first to keep the genomes separate, but I also have created a merged fasta file. Once aligned, any idea of good analysis pipeline? This data is of 8 samples, some of which are from co-cultures of the two bacteria types. Thanks for any ideas.
For sure, align to a reference multi-fasta that has both possible genomes. The last thing you want is for the software to take a read that matches genome 1, and be forced to align it to genome 2, because you didn't give it the option of aligning to genome 1.

After aligning, you can use samtools or awk or whatever to break down the .bam, and look at which reads align where, and how uniquely.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co-culture, illumina, rna-seq