Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem working with DEXSeq package

Hi I'm new to SEQanswers, and fairly new to bioinformatics, but I'm trying to work with the python scripts for the DEXSeq R package through Bioconductor.

We have paired-end data from human samples, (4 controls 4 treatments), using SOLID. I have access to the BAM files, that were aligned using TopHat (hg19).

Whenever I get the text output I have nothing but 0 values for all the count values. I was able to work through some of the example data, but am having no luck with our actual data.

Here are the steps I've taken (and admittedly I'm using the code(s) provided with the packages). I personally don't do a lot of programming but am actively learning, including from many resources I've found browsing the forums on SEQAnswers.

-Went to http://useast.ensembl.org/info/data/ftp/index.html and obtained the gtf file for humans, and put it in a folder with the python scripts dexseq_prepare annotation.py & dexseq_count.py, and the human bam files.

In bash terminal:
    - gunzip Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.67.gtf.gz
    - python dexseq_prepare_annotation.py Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.67.gtf Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.67_DEXSeq.gff

- samtools index human1.bam
    - samtools view human1.bam > human1.sam
    - sort -k 1,1 -k2,2n human1.sam > human1_sorted.sam
    - python dexseq_count.py -p yes Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.67_DEXSeq.gff human1_sorted.sam human1_dexseq.txt

The above executes, and I get a .txt file, but always gets 0 values for all of our samples. I originally thought it might be that we were using SOLID data; however, I also tried with some human Illumina data and had the same end result. Because the only entry not containing the a 0 value is the "empty" I'm thinking it is a problem I have either with the gtf/gff file or more likely not sorting the SAM file properly. Is the above correct? Or am I missing something? Also does the gff file need sorted as well?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. Oh and if it helps I'm working on a Mac OS X 10.7.4.
    Last edited by senkewiczs; 07-17-2012, 08:05 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
0 responses